We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Western...
Level Contributor
294 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

Hello everyone,

We arrive at Fiumicino Airport 7.30am on a Sunday in April and are staying in Rome near the Termini for the first week.

We have 4 weeks in Italy, 1 week Switzerland and 10 days Greece.

Can anyone advise me regarding an economical card to buy and where to buy it. I have an unlocked phone and need to make short business calls on most days. I will also make a few longer personal calls to family.

Should I buy a Sim card in each country? Any sound advice appreciated.

Thanks,

M

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

Buy a TravelSim in Australia as you will be provided one number that you can use for all of those countries. You can also buy a data package through TravelSim.

http://www.travelsim.net.au/

If you have an adroid, download maps off Google maps directly on to your phone so you don't require an internet connection. This funciton isn't available on iPhone, so if you have an iPhone, download Triposo app for maps.

The other option is to use Skype to make phone calls if the hotels you are staying at have wifi.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,269 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

Travelsim works well for calls and texts, it doesn't get data, but then I just make sure any place I stay has free wifi and do my data there.

It is a weird system but it works if you are travelling through a number of countries.

Woolworths has a new product. I haven't tried it but it seems to have some bundles that include data.

http://www.woolworthsglobalroaming.com.au/

It seems to operate on the same "call back" system

Edited: 13 February 2013, 05:51
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

You can now buy data packages via TravelSim.

http://www.travelsim.net.au/europedata

Edited: 13 February 2013, 06:12
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

This may be a simple suggestion and not what you are looking for ....

On our recent trips we purchased a Edicard Global voucher from Lottery/Tobacconist shops in Italy, which enables you to phone Australia via a fixed phone or personal mobiles using a Pin number. They are very good value. You can buy 5, 10 or 20 Euro value and the expiry is after 6 months of your last call.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

It may not be a bad idea to buy an Italian SIM card and use it in all three countries. I have a TIM SIM card. It costs 10 euros, which includes 5 euros of initial credit. You can activate a plan called International New, which would allow you to call Australia for 20 (euro) cents a minute, with a connection charge of 16 cents. It can take up to 48 hours to activate the plan, but usually it's much shorter.

For when you're in Switzerland and Italy, there is a plan called Tim in Viaggio, which is free to activate. Calls to Australia under that plan would be €1 a minute, with a €1 connection charge.

You can get a TIM data plan, TIM x Smartphone, if your phone has internet abilities, for €2.50 a week. That also has the possibility of reasonably priced data services in the rest of Europe. I believe the cost is €2 per day, charged only on the days you actually connect to the internet. If you have Skype on your phone, this would allow you to make calls from Switzerland and Greece at low Skype rates.

It would be up to you whether the lower rate when you're in Italy would make up for the higher rate when you're in Switzerland and Greece. I doubt it would pay you to buy a new SIM card in each of those countries.

I've also used the Edicard international card, mentioned by Aussie, but now I use Skype instead. Skype has various options that are very convient, such as a Skype number that allows friends and relatives to call a local number and reach you wherever you are.

I'm sure there are international cards similar to Edicard in all European countries, which would allow you to make calls to Australia from a hotel phone at reasonable rates.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

Bvlenci - does the Skype number work like a regular phone number or do you need internet access? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I am not Skype savvy. I was just wondering if it is worth buying Skype credit rather than buying a TIM sim card when I arrive in Rome.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

When someone calls your Skype number, Skype tries to find you on the internet; if you're logged into Skype, the call is free. However, you can choose to have the call transferred to any other number you like, in which case you pay the normal Skype rate for a call to that number.

I have a US Skype number (a Philadelphia number, because I have an elderly aunt living there, and this makes it very easy for her to call me). I have mine set up so that if I'm not online, it transfers the call to my Italian cell phone. Since a Skype call to an Italian cell phone normally costs 30 cents, that's what it costs me. Usually, I keep the call fairly short and call the person back when I have access to the internet. I find this very useful, and it really doesn't cost much. You can get the number for as little as three months, so it would make sense to get it for a vacation.

You can also get a subscription for unlimited calls to a specific country, but the cost of Skype calls is so reasonable that it doesn't really pay unless you make a lot of calls to that country.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
294 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

Thanks to you all for replying. I am looking into all the suggestions....

Much appreciated

M

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

In my response above, I said that calls to Australia from "Switzerland and Italy" would cost 1 euro per minute with the TIM in Viaggio option. I meant to say from "Switzerland and Greece". Calls from Italy would fall under the TIM International plan, and would cost 20 cents a minute.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
294 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sim Card - calls to Australia - from Italy, Switzerla/Greece

Thanks for clarifying... I did figure out you meant Switzerland and Greece.

Kind regards

M