We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40 Express Bus Route

Fort Payne, Alabama
Level Contributor
18 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
40 Express Bus Route

Is the 40 Express bus currenty running between Piazza Pia and Termini? My travel guide book refers to it but I can't find any reference to it on the ATAC website.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 40 Express Bus Route

I think it's the 90 express bus you are thinking of.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 40 Express Bus Route

oops sorry I though you meant Porta Pia. I see the 40 on the atac site!!!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40 Express Bus Route

The stop is called Borgo Sant'Angelo on the ATAC site. It's the end of the line for the number 40 bus, so there should be buses waiting there most of the time.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40 Express Bus Route

I have ridden on bus 40 often

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

it makes fewer stops than 64 or 64 buit does not run nonstop between Castel Sant' Angelo and Termini. I used to mostly get on it near Piazza Venezia.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40 Express Bus Route

I don't think anyone said it was nonstop.

Fort Payne, Alabama
Level Contributor
18 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40 Express Bus Route

I must be doing something wrong on the ATAC website! I have used the route calculator to go from Piazza Pia to Piazza Venezia and it gives me the 40 bus but it takes 25 minutes to get there because it goes so far out of the way before it gets to Piazza Venezia. It hasn't given me the option for the 40 Express.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40 Express Bus Route

Where I come from when one says a bus is the express it generally means it is nonstop.

I get bizzare results when I use the ATAC route calculator even when I adjsut it for the time of day. I stopped even trying to use it. I look at the pdf thatyou can download fonr the ATAC and try to mark out that route and look at the route at the ATAC page. They changed the web site and I am having trouble figuring out how to make the individual bus routes come up that show the stops.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 22:20
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 40 Express Bus Route

There is only one bus 40. noty a separate bus 40 express.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 40 Express Bus Route

All of the number 40 buses are express, which in every place I've ever lived, means that they make fewer stops.

I don't think it would take 25 minutes to get to Piazza Venezia from Piazza Pia. Where did you see the time estimate? I've never seen one on the ATAC site.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 40 Express Bus Route

We used the 40 'express' bus to get between Termini and the Vatican area about a month ago. The 40 and 40 express are the same thing. There were buses about every 10 minutes.

In rush hour, 08:30 weekday morning, it took about 25 minutes to get from the start to Termini. I'd say about 10 to 15 minutes to get to Piazza Venezia.

The buses go from Termini to Borgo St. Angleo (Point A on the map I've linked below). Buses wait there until they are scheduled to start from the 1st stop which is around the corner in Piazza Pia (Point B on the map linked below) for the return to Termini.

http://goo.gl/maps/U3X30

Near the bus stops you will see the arches in the Passetto Viaduct that leads to the castle - these are a good landmark to identify where you are.