We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get money affordably???

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to get money affordably???

We are going on a longish trip and some of the accomodations need to be paid in cash. I was planning to use my ATM, but there are considerable fees associated with it. Has anyone had any luck getting a bank account that claims to have NO ATM fees and it really works even in europe? I want to make sure I am going about it the best way.

Any ideas?

Jenn

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How to get money affordably???

If you travel overseas often, it may be worth your while to get an account with no foreign ATM fees. In Italy, there is often a transaction limit of 250 euros at ATMs, about $325. That would be 6 transactions, or $30, which is 1.5% of the total of $2000. In the big scheme of things, it's a trivial amount. To me, it wouldn't be worth opening a new bank account unless I made numerous trips each year.

Actually, it's illegal to make cash payments of €1000 or over in Italy, to avoid tax evasion and money laundering. I imagine your apartment is being rented "off the books".

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How to get money affordably???

we got a Charles Schwab debit card as they will reimburse you for any fees. I understand from others that it works well. They have a 500.00 per day limit, but with no fees, you can go every day and take out $.That is what I am planning to do to pay hotels in cash

13. Re: How to get money affordably???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 06:17