We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

I'm currently looking at the laminated map that came in my Fodor's guidebook. I've used the equivalent in Paris and Venice and loved them, but I'm finding this Rome one is lacking.

Whenever I find an address in Rome, I try looking it up on this map, and most of the time, the smaller streets are not shown. I have to google map instead. We'll be travelling low tech so we'll need to rely on a good old fashioned paper map through the day (and check things on our computer at the apartment later).

Any suggestions? What is your favourite? I primarily need a decent map of the older parts of Rome, as that's where we will be spending most of our time wondering about, and I'd really like something laminated and not overly huge.

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,714 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

The Lonely Planet map shows all the street names, even tiny ones. It is not laminated, but it is printed on plastic "paper" that is waterproof and almost impossible to tear.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 23:50
Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

Try streetwisemaps.com. I have a Rome and Paris map, showing all the streets and is laminated, not "fragile," and great for your pocket while you are walking the city.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 23:57
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,360 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

Another vote for the Streetwise Maps. Easily available at Amazon. Mine have lasted some 15 years.

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

The best map by far for Rome is the Michelin Edizione per Viaggiare Roma Atlante Tascabile. It is a ringnound map book of about 100 pages that fits easily into a pocket or bag and gives every bit of detail you could possibly wish for, with a very detailed index also

San Marcos...
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

We've had good luck with MapEasy. It's waterproof and tear resistant. It also has a reverse side close ups of Pz Navona, Spanish Steps, and Forum areas

I think I got ours at Barnes & Noble

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

Thanks everyone! I will check these out.

California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

pmmcTO . . . I just wanted to say thanks for posting this question!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

I would be a bit cautious about the claims that particular maps show ALL of the streets. The Streetwise maps certainly don't. I'm pretty sure the map mentioned by Herodotus does, although it's a bit hefty.

Any map that showed all the streets, even in a restricted area of the center, and was also small enough to be laminated and carried around, would have very tiny print.

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

Even in my map there are very occasionally very small streets/alleys that are not shown, though these are very rare, but if that is true of a map book of 100 pages, then how can any single sheet show everything?

I have to say that the one I use is not hefty - it fits easily into a bag or, frequently, my back pocket

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best laminated map that shows ALL of the street names?

The best Rome Map I have is a green laminated map I bought at Termini at a bookstore in the basment. It folds