We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican museum tour: St Peter Basilica

Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican museum tour: St Peter Basilica

I was on the vatican museums official website and was able to find slots for a tour in March that includes: the Pio Clementino Museum, the Gallery of the Candelabras, the Gallery of the Geographical Maps, and the Gallery of the Tapestries (Renaissance art), the Raphael Rooms and the Sistine Chapel. Duration of the tour is about 2 hours.

There are no spots available for a tour that includes the above plus St Peters Basilica.

Can we do the Basilica ourselves without a tour? Do we need to buy a separate ticket for the Basilica?

Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Private Tours of Rome - Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Colosseum Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
LivItaly Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican museum tour: St Peter Basilica

The Basilica is a functioning church and free of charge. Whether you tour it on your own or with a guide is a choice based on your interest level -- many are quite content to see it with a good guide book. For something in between a guide book and a live guide, you can rent an audio guide in the Basilica. There is also a free audio guide from Rick Steves you can download if you are so (technically) inclined: ricksteves.com/news/…italy-audio-tours.htm

There are apparently some free tours in English at 2:15 Monday-Friday, although I have not taken one (therefore cannot vouch for it) and am just noting the prior post in case it is helpful:

There are also a multitude of tour companies that have tours of the Basilica and the Vatican Museums if you really want a live guide for both.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 20:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican museum tour: St Peter Basilica

I am planning on doing the same Museum/Sistine Chapel tour.

My tour starts at 10.30 on a Saturday so I was thinking of doing a "self-tour" of the Basilica prior to this.

Is it likely to be less of a queue early in the morning (8.30-9 am) or am I better off waiting until after my museum tour (12.30)?

Also is it far from the Basilica entrance to the Museum entrance?

Many Thanks

Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
36,271 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican museum tour: St Peter Basilica

It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the basilica to the entrance of the museums. I would do the basilica after the museums tour as you will be able to use the "tour door" and take the short cut to the basilica.

4. Re: Vatican museum tour: St Peter Basilica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 07:16