We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

Blue Ridge, Georgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

In the past several months, the Euro has gone up around 9%. Bad news for us American tourists. That's about a $500 increase in the cost of my vacation.

USA
Level Contributor
333 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

Yes, we're feeling the pinch, too. However, nothing to be done about it. We still plan on having a blast--we'll just be eating in more. It's about $1.30 now, but I don't think it's ever gone above $1.40. If it does, more than tourism will be a concern.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

I heard this morning that today, it's at an all-time low.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

1.28 last i checked :( I should have exchanged my euro earlier... bah.

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

I am assuming that it has gone up because of High Season. I would love to see Rome in the summer months but my pocketbook is glad that I have to travel when it is cooler ! So many of us wanting to go there now, it is almost unbelievable. Wish I had wanted to go when I was younger and the tourists were fewer--bet that would have really been magical then !!! Well it is still magical but to imagine of it then ...............aaaahhhhhhh........

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

<<<I am assuming that it has gone up because of High Season.>>>

No the dollar's weak because:

a) The federal budget deficit if huge

b) The trade deficit is huge

c) The savings rate is negative

Basically Americans are living beyond their means. Of course they'll complain about the exchange rate but they will do about as much about the underlying causes as they do about higher gas prices.

USA
Level Contributor
333 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

We live in a global economy. As goes the US, so goes this economy. Americans do live beyond their means, but Britons are in the same boat. Your currency is stronger, but your consumer debt is nothing to sneeze at either. Being a consumption-driven society, us Americans buy a lot of exports. That is why EU politicians moan and groan when the euro rises against the dollar--if we aren't buying imports, you aren't selling exports. And guess what? You need us to buy your exports...

USA
Level Contributor
333 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

Imports/Exports...You know what I mean.

Blue Ridge, Georgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

ajeleonard, Thank you for helping us Americans to understand what we are doing wrong. We seem to be a constant target of criticism from all over the world, yet the requests for immigrant entry are almost overwhelming.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

I thought this was a forum about Rome and this specific post about the exchange rate...silly me, it is about politics.

Let's all just get along, okay? I would expect to see more open-mindedness in a TRAVEL forum.

Blue Ridge, Georgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: The U.S. dollar / Euro exchange rate continues to climb.

I agree. Leave political complaints/commentary for other venues.