We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Hi!

Have you booked your flights yet? I can't decide if I'm going to gamble and see if they'll go down, or if I should just book it and let it be.

I'm looking at $840 per person right now. I'm flying muli-destination (into Florence and out of Rome) from Omaha, and I specified only one layover on the way home. (Can't help the two layovers on the way there, due to the size of FLR and OMA airports.)

My biggest concern is that I'm going over the Thanksgiving holiday (leaving the 21 coming back the 27).

I just can't decide.

What is everyone else doing?

Thanks!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Katie.

Gosh !!! I really figured that you would already have purchased your tickets by now !!!

We have been checking and checking and................... ! Nothing that great yet for us.

We thought we had found that one on Orbitz but thanks to you we found out sooner that it was a sham !!

So far the best tix we have found are still a little over $900.00(ouch!!) through Northwest. I don't feel like panicking yet as I think we still have a couple months to search around. I won't let any grass grow beneath my feet though.

$840.00 doesn't sound bad but we just flew in March for $617.00, so on the other hand it doesn't sound good either !!!

If we EVER find anything better, I will let you know ASAP !!

I am having my biggest problem finding connecting flights with more than an hour layover. Will not do that again unless there is absolutely nothing else to choose from !!! And also, we have read way too many negative comments about Paris(cdg) as a connecting airport, so that is another problem we had encountered with finding a "little bit " cheaper flight.

Will keep you posted and please do the same !!! Thanks and Good Luck--- Good Luck to us all !!!!! I have decided in my next life to come back as the owner of an airline!!!! oh yeah, and to be Italian.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Oooh, yes, good luck to you, too. $900 is a little steep, but not that bad, I guess....

Yes, I know I am gambling. I really should just book them, but a few weeks ago, they were $775 a piece. I don't know why I'm getting hung up $130! It's nothing. Just the thrill of a bargain, I guess.

I think you're very smart to insist on a longer layover and no CDG. I love Paris perhaps more than any city in the world (we'll see soon about Rome!!), and even *I* hate CDG. It's really incredible how they can keep it going with as many hassles as that airport has! And with all the shuttle nonsense you have to take from one terminal to the other, I think it would be impossible, literally, to make a connection in less than an hour and a half.

I'll keep you posted. Good luck to you, too! What airport are you flying out of??

Katie

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Katie,

We live near Louisville but we are also checking Indianapolis too.

My problem is that we got our last tix so cheap !! It wasn't a problem then of course, but when comparing-i don't like it.

AND, everything I have ever read (from anyone who really knows what they are talking about), the time to buy them is probably 8-12 weeks prior to departure. WHO KNOWS!!!!!!

Donna

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Donna, where did you find the flight for $617? That is such a good deal. When did you book it, relative to your travel time?

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Our $617.00 fare was for our March trip. We flew thru AA. We booked the flight in January ( Actually two separate flights, as my older son decided to go too and could not get on the same flight as us ). I think it was 8 weeks in advance for us and 7 weeks in advance for him. His flight actually cost a few dollars less than ours.We went from Louisville to Chicago to Brussells to Rome. He went from Louisville to Dallas to London to Rome.

BTW, we just found some tix thru Delta. This would be a direct flight from Atlanta to Rome and same coming back(in reverse of course!). A little over 900.00 each but NO layovers !! We are thinking about this very hard. We could drive to and from Atlanta airport--about 6-7 hours from here, I think. Will keep you posted !!!

Donna

palo alto california
Level Contributor
299 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Yo!

Italy-lovers!

I am hoping to be there sometime in Oct-Nov too. I just assumed I'd wait till 3-4 weeks before and have checked only superficially. I will swing into research action though and report back. I am a new fan of Priceline, but haven't tried the airfare section, only hotels; in terms of this stuff, being a solo traveler does make it easier.

I'm even thinking about risking one-way there and one-way back, REAL RISKY so this may be over even my line...I need to talk to Sis (airline person)... I am a gambler on travel, very lucky so far.

Somehow...fingers crossed! I think $800 can be beat for Fall travel, but probably good deal forThanksgiving holiday. Heaviest travel of the year in the US.

(would love to meet wittyone in person! I do like off-season travelers)

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

monamania,

I am inclined to agree with you on waiting for purchasing tickets !! The only thing that makes it hard to wait is finding the PERFECT flight plan !! The one we are looking at now is actually $895.00 per ticket. That sounds so high to me, BUT, it is a straight shot from Atlanta to Rome and we would get there around 8:00 a.m., so that is almost like adding another day to the trip !!! The drawback is having the drive to Atlanta, especially coming back. When we bought our tix for March, we found the best price 7 weeks ahead of time. After that they started climbing up. However, the ticket we bought for our son(the cheapest one) had a shorter layover in London on the return portion and due to FOG, he missed his connection and had to wait for two more planes. BUT on the other hand, he wound up being on the same plane as us from Chicago to Louisville. EGADS!!! This is the only part of trip planning that drives me crazy !!!!

BUT-----I am going for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow !! Beautiful, vibrant Roma !!!!! Sizzle !!!

Yeah, I would like to meet you and Katie too !!! You start to feel like you know people on here !! I have a feeling that you two are younger than me though !!! That's another thing I liked about Rome--I swear, I felt like I was 20 years younger there !!!!

Well, we will keep each other posted on tickets and maybe we will all get lucky. I do wonder if Katie should go ahead and buy because of Thanksgiving??? That is a tough call !!

Ciao !!!!!!

Donna

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Monamia! Wittyone!

It would be great if we would all be able to meet up in Rome in November; you two actually have a chance, but I'll be there too late, though. Oh, well. ;) We'll be together in spirit. I'll have some gelato and a glass of wine for each of you.

I'm gambling, I know...but I am going to hold off a bit, I think, on purchasing my tickets. My husband and I are hotel junkies, and I would feel a lot better about splurging on the 5* if we could get a break on the flight prices, you know? Plus, we're willing to pay more for one layover on the way home and to fly into Florence. We did find another flight for $715pp, but it only went to Rome, and it was two layovers. No thank you!

Anyway, let's all keep each other updated.

Best of luck to you both!

katie

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Katie,

I think you are being wise, but then ,I am not always so wise, myself !!!!! I don't think it is a matter of being wise, more like luck !!! So I will wish you luck again !!

As for the glass of wine that you are going to have for me---could you make it two, instead ??? And make sure the wine knows it is for me-o.k.??? Catch you later !!!

Donna

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
969 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paging wittyone! (And other November travelers)

Hi Guys,

Just my two cents. There are no guarantees but I would wait. We went in November 03. We booked tickets 4 or 5 weeks in advance in response to a Fall fare sale. Tickets were approx. $495 rt St. Louis to Rome (stops in Chicago/London). Based on past history there will be more sales - it's a down time and airlines need to fill their seats. As long as gas stays high, that will inflate ticket prices. When I looked at those Air France seats a week ago, the fuel "surcharge" was $130, I think. But, if the Euro stays high, that will deflate some travel demand, and encourage more competitive airline prices.

On the other hand, the days immediately before and after Thanksgiving will be much higher. When I looked at those AirFrance fares, there were two or three days where the fares were double. So flexibility can result in significant savings.

Good Luck.

Jeff