We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

We're going to Rome! For three and a half days. Hey, it's what we've got. We're staying in an apartment just east of the Colosseum. We're a family of three from New York City, with a seven year old daughter. We're very focused on wanting to see ancient Roman stuff and epic architecture. No museums, no waiting on long lines. (We have excellent museums here - what we don't have is ruins or historical architecture in its eternal place.)

Our major concern is where to eat. I'd love it if some people could suggest some inexpensive, non tourist trap places where they are at least kind to people who don't speak a word of Italian. I'm adequate in a few other languages, but it takes me a huge amount of time and effort to ramp up a language, and I simply don't have any facility with Italian. Our daughter has unadventurous tastes, but I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get a plain pizza or pasta almost anywhere, so we're not that concerned.

Can anyone give us a good list of restaurants to work from? Thanks so much.

Tuesday

Arrive at noon

PM - Colosseum, Forum

Wednesday

AM - Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Villa Borghese Park

PM - Campo di Fiori area, Castel Sant Angelo

Thursday

AM - Museum of Roman Civilization at EUR for the scale model

PM - St. Peter's/Vatican (NOT museums)

Friday

AM -- Ostia Antica

PM -- Revisit places we liked (probably the Forum)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

In residential buildings in Italy, water is generally heated on demand rather than being stored in a large tank. it can take a little while for the hot water to reach the spigot, depending on how far the hot water heater is from the bathroom. I suspect the heater is turning off while you're showering for some reason. Maybe you should ask the owner or agency how to make it stay on.

California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

bvlenci . . . Do hotels heat the water in the same way as residential buildings? I'm just curious if we will have the same wait time/problem as jhwanderer.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

The apartment I rented in Rome for a few weeks in December did not have that problem at all - hot water came out right away (and I was on the top floor) and lasted as long as I needed it. It could just be certain buildings.

I never wait more than half a minute at the hotel I stay at in Rome; never seemed to be much of an issue in hotels I've stayed in Italy - you may have to wait a minute but probably not much more. Some have water that goes from hot to cold, which is a real drag but haven't run across that much in the past few years.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 19:22
California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

Thanks MomCat! :)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

No, hotels wouldn't have the same system. It's only suited for a small number of people.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

As far as apartments, it wouldn't matter what floor they're on, as most apartments have individual water heating systems. Twenty minutes sounds like an inordinate amount of time, though, so maybe your apartment has one of those big boilers in the basement of 50 years ago.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

I'd ask whoever you are renting from if they could check it - it could be an ongoing situation or it could be something that is fixable.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

Unfortunately, they aren't responding. *sigh* I had to run the water for a good ten minutes to get hot water this morning, and then it lasted six or seven minutes. Oddly this is only the shower; I get as much hot water in the sink as I want.

We were out really late last night with friends and had to be lame Americans. We met our friends, Roman natives, for dinner at 7:30 with our daughter and their kids, had a great time, but had to sort of forcibly eject ourselves from dinner at 10:30 so we could get back to the apartment by 11:30 and get her to bed. I'm pretty ashamed, and I think my friends were a little offended, but we were exhausted and it was a long way home. I'm running over that one in my mind and can't think how we could have done it better to get the kid in bed by midnight ... double sigh.

Something that I don't see written about much: if you're looking for a playground, you could do much worse than the little one in Colle Oppio. It's sandwiched between Trajan's baths and the Domus Aurea! For a family looking for "ancient things," it was a terrific setting.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

Sorry about the water; even sorrier to hear they are not responding. I think I lucked out in getting people who were very responsive. I had a small problem but it took a few days to sort out and they were on top of it and in touch with me the entire time. I hope they get back to you - how long are you in Rome?

There's a DE on here "Rome With Kids" - she's noted in the column on the right page of the Rome forum - if you want more ideas for youngsters, you might be able to send her a private message. She also has written a book about it -

I would hope your friends wouldn't be offended - I can't imagine they wouldn't understand you wanting to keep your child somewhat on a schedule so her sleep doesn't get all messed up.

Hope you are having a good time....

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Itinerary and non tourist trap restaurants?

I can't imagine that anyone would be offended by your need to leave the dinner at 10:30. On the other hand, children in Italy don't seem to have a bedtime at all. They go to bed when their parents go to bed. I was once invited to a class performance put on by a nursery school that I had been helping with English lessons. I hadn't been living here long at the time, and was astonished to see that three-year-olds were taking the stage when it was almost 11 PM.