We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Five Star Hotels

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Rome Five Star Hotels

My wife and are are returning to Rome after an absence of some 30 years. I lived there in another lifetime as a bureau chief for a major American newspaper and had my own apartment on Viale di Villa Pamphili. (Janiculum).

Now , with my celebrating a 70th birthday this September, we would like to return but to treat ourselves to a luxury hotel.

From the looks of things, there have been plenty of new additions in the hotel chain.

Would anyone like to recommend a hotel that is a special treat? I know, of course, about the Hassler although sopme say it is starting to feel its age (no pun intended) and The Excelsior is now owned by Westin.

Appreciate any input. We're talking the beginning of September.

Thank you.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Five Star Hotels

You may want to consider the Cavalieri Hilton. We stayed there last June and it was fabulous.

Beautiful, immaculate, great service, wonderful pillows, sheets and beds. Everything about this hotel and the property it first class.

That said it is NOT within walking distance to City Center or the Vatican and requires either taxi service, shuttle service or other driving accomodations.

And, early Happy Birthday wishes!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Five Star Hotels

The Hotel de Russie is gorgeous and located off PIazza del Popolo. They have a lovely outdoor garden, a chic spa and every amenity you could wish for. It is very popular with the social set and celebs. Another hotel which is just opening up this year is the 5-star St. George Hotel (stgeorgehotelrome.com) now owned and and just emerging from a two-year renovation, by the same group as the Grand Hotel dellaMinerva. This hotel is on Via Giulia's north end, which I'm sure you're familiar with. A last selection would be a place called The View, which is a new addition to the Inn at the Spanish Steps (atspanishsteps.com). The view has lovely, large rooms with terraces and a vew of the Steps. If you really want to break the bank with high-end luxe, try the B&B Palazzo Ruspoli (residenzanapoleone.com); on the corso in eponymous palazzo still owned by the Ruspoli. ONly one room is available and its a three-room suite which used to come with a butler.

Buon Compleanno!

U.K.
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Five Star Hotels

Hi florider, I once stayed at the cavalieri hilton and absolutely loved it, but if you want to be inside the walls of Rome my sister and her husband stayed at the Splendide Royal and they have not stopped raving about it since.

California Desert...
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Five Star Hotels

Dear Florider, Have you heard about the Radisson SAS hotel near Termini station. It is a really beautiful contemporary hotel. The lighting alone makes it quite spectacular, especially when you are in the courtyard rooms and you can see the many different colors emanating from other parts of the building.The pool and restaurant on its roof is also something that is very exceptional with a view that can be very breathtaking. This hotel with its Plasma televisions and electronic gadgetry has truly leaped into the 21 st century and the service is clearly 5 star as its rating states. jJust look on www.radisson.com and take the "Virtual Tour." I think you'll definitely like what you see!

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Five Star Hotels

Jeeperz: Thanks for the Cavalieri tip. I do remember that hotel from my days in Rome although not too many tourists wanted to go there at the time because of the proximity to the center. Thanks also for your well wishes.

Hobsie: Again, the Cavalieri tip. This might just be what I need: an oasis after days of running around.

SoloRoma: I'm going to look up those suggestions. Appreciate the thoughts and thank you also for your well wishes.

Ulisse: Radisson, huh? Certainly, I'll take a look at it. May even be able to use my points there if we decide that's the place.

Again, many thanks for your quick responses.

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Five Star Hotels

We have stayed at the Excelsior; liken it to the old Plaza in New York or a larger St. Regis.

If you have membership miles with American Express you can pay for a beautiful suite using your points.

Have a great trip...your Rockville Centre neighbor.

Note: Also lived in Rome '73-'74.

Ciao

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Five Star Hotels

You could also try the Exedra (Bolosco); Hotel InterContinental De La Ville; and the St. Regis Grand Hotel. They are all close to the Spanish Steps and the Borghese Gardens.

We are hotel junkies and these are our top three.

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with.

Katie

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Five Star Hotels

Thanks Rockville Centre neighbor. This is the third time I've heard about the St. Regis Grand. I'll look it up as I will the Excedra and the Intercontinental. Much obliged.

sfc
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Five Star Hotels

Good to hear nice things about the St. Regis Grand. My family and I will be staying there July 9-13. I'll let you know how it was when I return.

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome Five Star Hotels

Thank you sfc