We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

Hello,

As I am in countdown mode (134 days!!!) to my Rome trip, I thought I would ask you for a recommendation on how to spend an afternoon in Trastevere in July.

We will have 3 days in Rome, the first day we (husband, 7yo daughter and me) will be by ourselves, the next day another 5 friends and family arrive from Brazil and then we will do the touristy things.

Since this is not our first time in Rome, we would like to go to an area we haven't been before and that would be Trastevere. All we really want is stroll around, without the need to see a "must see", take some cool pictures, sit down for a gelato... something very laid back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,610 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

The Botanical gardens, the Villa Farnesina, the small Museo di Roma, a walk up to Janiculum Hill for beautiful views over the city, the church of Santa Maria, Palazzo Corsini (from which the botanical gardens are just a 3 to 5 minute walk) - all should be noted in your guidebook and if not, a google search will give you logistical info on them if you are interested.

Just wandering the neighborhood is worth the time - it is my favorite in Rome (though, admittedly, I do have a few favorites, I have a certain soft spot for this particular area).

Mentioned in this post
Roma
Roma
Rome, Italy
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

I know you said "walk" - but Trastevere's actually quite large, so don't overlook the handy little 125 buses - as described here....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/electric_buses

You may find those as useful as we did!

Frommers have some "what's where" maps, here...

frommers.com/destinations/rome/64_maps.html

.... and, towards the end of these, you'll find photos from some of the churches we visited:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/rome_churches

Perhaps also include San Bartolomeo all Isola - on Tiber Island - in your wanderings?

Peter

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

Thanks!

I had those in my notes and had looked them up on my DK Eyewitness guidebook, just wasn't sure they would make it for a laid back stroll but now that you mentioned I am sold! :)

I even try to do some Google Street View, this is how much I want to go there!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

My goodness, I wish I could move my arrival date up by a day and have another day with my family only to explore even more!

Thanks for the links, lovely pictures!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

Google map of Trastevere with sights marked

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Churches all closed during siesta 1-3pm mostly

_____

Villa Farnesina, (yellow mask , under marker to Palazo Corsini)

______

Palazzo Corsini (yellow movie projector)

_______

Santa Maria in Trastevere (red cross at 11 o'clock form orange volcano marker)

________

San Crisogono (pin puch pin, crypt, closed during the siesta)

Paleochristian church underneath modern one

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

____

Basilca Santa Cecilia (red cross above pine tree marker)

Saint Cecilia. check out the statue made after a 17th century artist viewed her body.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showgallery.php…

____

San Francesco a Ripa (red cross below pine tree marker)

contains a real Bernini.

Blessed Ludovica. Gorgeous

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

closed in 2011 because a recent collapse

Edited: 20 February 2013, 14:58
Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

Thanks a lot!

I really can't wait for July!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

To keep your enthusiasm up (although that hardly seems necessary??), perhaps look out for the monthly bi-lingual listings magazine from these people....

http://www.unospitearoma.it/en.html

Printed copies are available for free in hotels etc, however those often run out very quickly - so use the blue area to get it in PDF format!

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

The old part of Trastevere is NOT terribly large, but it is so charming and there so many small corners to discover you could easily spend an entire day or 2.

The old part is divided into two parts by viale Trastevere - the west side is where s. Maria in Trastevere is located and the market in Piazza S. Cosimato and where you can access the Gianicolo. This is where most of the activity is.

The east side is smaller & it's quieter and more quaint - the lovely Basilica of S. Cecilia is there and you can access Tiber island and the Jewish ghetto from there.

9. Re: One very laid back afternoon in Trastevere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 06:15