We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

Boston...
Level Contributor
392 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

Hello,

By now the regulars might know my story...my 11 yr old son broke his leg 2 1/2 wks ago, forcing us to cancel our long-planned trip to Italy for this week. I am currently rebooking our trip for mid April, when the dr says he will be in a walking boot and full weight bearing.

Being a mom I am trying to plan for every event and since Rome is the beginning of our trip, i am trying to limit the amount of unnecessary walking/standing in order to allow him to walk and stand for the fun stuff! We'll be taking more taxis and more breaks, I expect, but we won't know exactly how he's doing until we get there!

We are taking a Context tour at 2pm on a Monday. 3 hour family private tour, wheelchair already reserved for the long hallways. We don't have to do the wheelchair route specifically bc he'll be able to get up for stairs etc, but once again, limiting walking if we need to is the main idea.

St. Peter's is not included, and originally we had planned to go through the tour door after the Sistine chapel and do the Basilica on our own at the end.

Context explained that in this scenario, someone would have to go back to the entrance and return the chair if he uses it the whole time! Is it really 30 min? So the rest of us would wait an hour if my husband ran back with it?

Our other option is to go to the Basilica on our own a different day, but I don't want him to have to stand in line for 20-30 minutes+. Our first day, a Saturday, we land at FCO at 8:30 am and have nothing planned specifically for the whole day except perhaps the 110 bus whole route (no hopping on and off, just using it for a tour and a first look at the city). I think I've seen that lines a St. Peter's are short by 4:00ish - should we try to go the first day late afternoon?

Quick last question, can you see the line from the 110 bus stop? If we saw no line during our tour, maybe we would hop off I guess?

Thanks and I apologize for the length I was trying to be thorough :)

RomeInLimo Tours & Excursions
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,486 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

The line for the basilica is just a security line and moves very quickly. It's usually never more than 10 minutes or so, with the longest I've ever seen it being about 20 minutes. After getting through the line your son can sit and have a rest. I really don't know of any way to avoid waiting in the line other than using the "tour door" but with a wheel chair that won't work.

You can check out this link to see if there is any helpful information you can use.

saintpetersbasilica.org/People/…27s.htm

Donna

Boston...
Level Contributor
392 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

Thanks dbabe - 10 minutes is doable...I thought I had read 20-30. I had looked at that page but since he won't be in a wheelchair after the museum-borrowed one, I couldn't find any info that applied to us. I'm sure he'll be fine waiting in line if he needs to, just trying to do everything I can to plan correctly.

Is my understanding correct that to return the w/c to the entrance and come back to the Tour door would take my husband a very long time?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,557 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

Using the map on the 110 website, looks to me like you'll only get a fleeting glimpse of St. Peter's Square:

www.trambusopen.com/it/110-open/percorso.cfm

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,486 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

Yes, it's quite a hike. He could always return the chair and walk around to the front of the basilica. this might save a few minutes.

Donna

Boston...
Level Contributor
392 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

Ok so what I'm thinking now is to make a stop at St. Peter's the morning we arrive. Rome Cabs said they would wait for us at the hotel as we drop our bags, (hopefully around 10/11am-ish) and continue our ride on to St. Peter's. We'll save our museum tour for a separate day.

Once we're done a St. Peter's, we'll see about lunch or a HOHO tour depending on the time. When we're ready to head back to Residenza Argentina (if we haven't used HOHO), would it be easier to take bus 62 back or to find a taxi? It looks like through my searches here that it isnt the easiest thing to find a taxi there, and 62 looks convenient. Would it be a 30 min or so ride? (Which is fine w me, just thinking ahead to check in time etc.). Again, trying to minimize walking on our first day since he'll be tired on top of walking boot.

Thank you!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
955 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

St. Peter's opens at 7am. The sooner you get there the smaller the line.

Florida
Level Contributor
924 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

Did you tell the doc that you are planning on going to Rome? I am a Physical Therapist and know how difficult walking around Rome can be on normal feet. Well be even more difficult when navigating in a boot. Expect a lot of swelling daily and therefore plan to be at the hotel icing the foot a lot! I know he is 11 and very resilient but plz keep all this in mind or you all will be miserable!

Boston...
Level Contributor
392 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

Yes we told him and the dr had actually been there. Waited for drs okay before rebooking the trip. We'll definitely take it slow and follow my sons lead with how he's feeling. We'll bring extra ziploc bags for ice too...Thanks for the advice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,768 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

Keep an eye (or have him keep a keen eye out) for uneven cobblestones of which there are many. And, yes, it is very different there in that you will be walking on marble (which is completely unforgiving) and the cobblestones but it sounds like you are making good plans to make sure he doesn't risk his healing process.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,486 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Limiting time standing in line for St. Peter's (me again!)

You might also want to look for one of those canes that has a little seat built into it. This way when standing in line he can actually sit for a few minutes and the cane will help him with the cobbles and unevenness of the walkways.

Another things to be cautious of are the steps, especially the stone ones. Most have been there forever and are worn down in some areas making them uneven. I find this charming but for someone with mobility issues it could be a hazard.

Donna