We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

Berkeley, California
1 post
Save Topic
where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

I will be taking my 19 year old daughter to Italy (and France) this summer. We will go to Rome for several days and Florence as well. We would like to go to one more place (not Venice) - where should we go?

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

Why not Venice? It is magical. Okay, so no Venice, well then Cinque Terre would be my next pick and that is hard decision, because there is always Naples, Verona,Sienna, Palermo, Pisa, Lucca, Parma, Modena, Elba, Stromboli, Bologna, Positano, Capri, Ustica, Milano, etc., etc,.. As a 19 year-old I think Verona would be interesting. Not only is it an amazingly beautiful city, but hello, Romeo and Juliet slept here. You can't miss with the Amalfi Coast either. Wow..Good Question...still I have to go with Cinque Terre...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
949 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

Lakes region or Dolomites are options.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

My teenage daughter says her fondest memories are of Capri and the Amalfi Coast.

But she also enjoyed Rome, Pompeii, Ercolano, Florence, Verona, the Dolomitii, Venice and Lake Garda.

Really, what's not to like???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

It really depends on how many days you have to spare whether you can visit another place. Have you been to Venice? If not, its not to be missed. I was put off by it because of the cost and the overcrowding, but I finally went last summer and I wish I had stayed more than just 2 days. It is pricier than other cities but there is no other place like it!!! If you venture away from the main sites it's not terribly crowded .

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
949 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

What does your daughter like to do? Beaches, hiking, biking, shopping, cooking...?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

My vote would be for Lake Como, especially a stop in Bellagio. We did some shopping there, then had lunch by the lake. Breathtaking!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

Yes, it's important to know your interests, and also how many extra days you have for this third place. Do you want a place off the beaten track, or are you willing to beat it a bit more?

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

In Tuscany, in addition to the city of Florence, there are so many beautiful cities, Siena, San Gimignano, Bolgheri, Volterra, let her take a ride in the hills of Chianti, there the view is amazing

Florida
Level Contributor
924 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

There is soooo much to see and do in Italy. It's a truely breathtaking country as the other posts have pointed out. I could spend months and months touring Italy and never get bored!!

There is a video called "Visions of Italy" that I highly recommend. It's a wonderful way to get ideas on where to go and a great way to remind you of your trip after you return. You can purchase on Amazon.com.

California
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: where to go in Italy besides Florence and Rome

Don't know your interests, but my votes would be: Lake Como, the Dolomites and Verona.