We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

Hi!

My partner and I have booked a Trafalgar (first class) European Traveller tour in September this year - beginning in London, through Paris, Lucerne, Florence, Venice and Rome. I was wondering if anyone else has been on this tour and their thoughts?

We were advised to do a tour as we wanted to see so much in a limited time - 18 days. We will be doing our own thing either side of the tour (Dubai, 4 nights in London, Berlin and Amsterdam)

Although in the right age bracket, we are not big drinkers/party goers and thought that the Contiki type tours would just be unsuitable. We don't want to drink our way through Europe feeling hungover and unable to enjoy ourselves. Both more appreciative of the history and beauty around us! We can drink at home ;)

If anyone has feedback on Trafalgar, it would be most appreciated! And any suggestions for our other destinations would be wonderful,

Thank-you :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

I have not travelled with Trafalgar, or any organised tour, but I have been on these forums for some time and the consensus seems to be that Trafalgar often uses hotels outside the main area of the cities, so that access to the city at night, for example, can be difficult unless you take an additional tour through them. I am just suggesting that this is something you should check and maybe query with the tour company.

For example, the hotel Evergreen Laurel is outside the area of Paris proper. It is however, still on the Metro. You pay to see any internal sights in Paris or Rome.

In Venice, you get to "look at" places but it seems you take your own trip to actually see them, such as the Doges Palace.

Know that in reality, they get you from A to B to C, mostly guiding what you can see from the street.

With regards to Contiki vs Trafalgar, you are more likely to find older travellers on Trafalgar, but that does not mean geriatric, but you probably won't find many below 30.

Most people on this forum would choose to plan their own trips. That can involve train travel, accommodation and maybe car travel.

For a first time, if you are not wanting to do this, then a tour would give a good introduction to travel. You do tend to get what you pay for, but that does not mean horrible. Many people enjoy these trips, make great friends and enjoy their introduction to new places.

Edited: 21 February 2013, 11:03
Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

Thanks Lynn.

Unfortunately we had taken the advice of our travel agent,which happened to be a family member! So we have already booked and paid :(

I wish I had found travel advisor when we started planning, there are so many wonderful posts on here and I'm sure we could have planned a wonderful holiday with all the suggestions I have read.

I'm sure we will have an amazing time. Friends have done similar tours and the hotels being further out to cater for the buses never seemed a problem. Besides, we will be in Europe!

The hotels we have booked at our other destinations are smack in the middle of the cities, so we can't complain too much :)

Again, thanks for the input, hav a great day!

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
72 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

We too have booked a Trafalar tour in September 2013. Doing the London, Paris, Rome moderate with extra days before and after the tour. We have read poor reviews of trafalgar tours, but we also have friends who have gone with them and had a wonderful time. We have decided to only do the tours included in the price and are now booking additional tours on our own through recommendations on this sight. I have looked up our hotels and the one in Rome has some poor rating, but the others had good reviews. This is also our first time using a tour group, but we have not traveled in Europe before and feel this will get us there and provide us with transportation between cities. Check to see if you have free days (we have several) and do some research on the areas you will be visiting and book your own things on those days. Hope you have a great time, we went on a cruise with poor ratings one time (and we knew this ahead of time), planned our own excursions and it was our best vacation ever!

Coffs Harbour...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

We are looking at Trafalgar and Costsaver tours too in September. We are in our late 40'/ and will be travelling with our 14 year old daughter. I have also read a lot of bad reviews but in reality I think we will see much more on a quick trip rather than doing it ourselves where you might not have the motivation to keep going! It is getting very confusing as to which tour to do. Making sure that it is a guaranteed trip is a priority too.

I would suggest doing your own research on where motels are located and looking up local restaurants cafes etc so that you don't have to do all the optional extras.

Hope you all have a great trip.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

You will have a wonderful time so really don't pay attention to the ones saying it is terrible on a Trafalgar tour. I have done Trafalgar through Europe (costsaver actually) at a younger age like yourself and for the same reason not Contiki ( I had done Contiki in America and deliberately chose Trafalgar instead for Europe ). I travelled with my sister and there were a range of ages on the tour but for a first time in Europe when you get to experience so much inso little a time the tour was great. Usually the first class tours have central hotels. I found the special nights out were a bit expensivesometimes very touristy (but I was a tourist so didn''t mind) and usually great fun. Any hotel that was out of town - the bus dropped us in the centre and took us back to the hotel but you could do your own thing if you wished to.

It is great to be taken around see all the main sights, but if you want to do more research and organise additional things on your own as someone suggested that would be fun also.

Now I am married to a European and always travel independently in Europe now but I still look back at various bus tours I have done and think what fun they were.

By the way when you are in AMsterdam the Anne Frank house is worth seeing and there are wonderful museums there.

Have a great trip!

Coffs Harbour...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

Thanks Limbib for your note. Good to hear something positive!

canada
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

The key to an enjoyable group tour is the personality of the tour director. Nowadays, the companies are getting "freelance" professionals often from an agency. This ensures the quality. Beware of heavy drinkers. And beware of modern or modernized hotels, any number of stars. These tend to sacrifice function and convenience for some clean lines and pictures.

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

Here's another hint--in September the temps can be warm and many hotels may not have air conditioning in the rooms; you can check whether they do online ahead of time at the hotel web sites to get an idea of your hotels. We found that when we as a group arrived at the hotel, we quietly went to the check-in desk to request a fan for our room so that at least we had air circulation, and we were glad we did. If the hotel is not a/c, I think you will definitely find it worthwhile to request a fan.

We have not taken a Trafalgar tour, but have heard nothing but good things about them. We have used Globus and Cosmos for eight different 3-4 week tours around Europe and appreciated seeing a lot in a "short" time, and appreciated the value and ease of travel.

Vancouver
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

I have booked this tour for July with the whole family. I was originally going to book a European vacation on my own since I travel to Europe, especially Paris, at least a few times a year for business so I know it well. However, given there is 5 of us in the family, the amount of work to do so would just be enormous, arranging accommodations to fit us all and then transporting us to the various countries. I booked and prepaid this trip back in January so the price at the end was fantastic. I will reply back here once I'm done the trip. I'm also staying a couple of extra nights in London and then from Rome I'm going on a cruise to Greece/Turkey. I've heard from sources that the tour is pretty packed so it is not a relaxing vacation. I don't know all the hotels but I've checked it out online and they are not too bad. In Paris, La Defense is a bit out of the core but I've stayed there before and it is right on the metro line (#1) and is super simple to get around. The Hilton in London looks really nice. Given the price and what's included for 5 people, I really think the deal cannot be beat for us. So we are definitely looking forward to it, especially since pretty well everything is taken care of and I just have a little bit of stuff to research. The peace of mind is really good.

10. Re: Trafalgar European Traveller Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 09:05