We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

Hi,

Silly me, I have booked attractions starting at 12:00 pm -1:45 pm on four days. I've read that these are Rome's lunch hours of 12 pm - 3 pm. On these days, what can we eat to tide us over until dinner time (7:30 - 8 pm) when everything is closed?

TIA

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

Go to a cafe or pasticceria. Unfortunately by then you won't be able to get any capuccino either at that time.

Eat pastries big time at the pasticceria in the morning.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

You can get cappuccino 24/7 in Rome is the establishment is open, although Romans usually only have it for breakfast!!!

You should be able to have lunch after your tours, you have a full 45 minutes to scope out a place, better yet research ahead of time what areas you will be in after your tour so you don't have to fish around.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

What do you mean you can't get a cappuccino at that hour? Of course, you can. I have and I've seen countless other people get them as well whether it is 3 p.m. or 9 p.m. or whenever. Just ask for it.

There are places all over that are casual/simple places where you can get a sandwich, salad, etc - lots of these type of places are staying open after the regular lunch hour. Also - there are places you can go in and buy pizza by the piece (not the "slice" - the piece; you show them with your hands how large a piece you want them cut from the large oblong shaped pizzas and they will cut that size and heat it for you or, if it's just out of the oven, hand it over. Very very good.

You will find cafes (not all, but more than enough to keep you in food) that are open.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

Open Baladin in via degli Specchi doesn't stop serving every Fridays afternoon.

www.openbaladin.it

@
Level Contributor
331 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

There are many restaurants in tourist area which are open all day long. There are plenty of them around Pantheon, piazza Navona, Trastevere etc.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

"What do you mean you can't get a cappuccino at that hour? Of course, you can"

They give you weird looks and tell you that is only supposed to be drunk in the morning. You can appeal to them and tell the waiter or counter person: you are only an ignorant American so that could you still bring one?

Edited: 22 February 2013, 15:26
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

I don't drink it other than in the morning but have seen countless people order it in cafes/restaurants in the afternoons and evenings and have never once seen anyone called an ignorant American or given any kind of attitude for ordering it.

And, even if they did - who cares what they think?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

The many branches of Insalata Ricca carry on serving straight through the afternoon...

http://insalataricca.it/?locale=en

But, for a rather more memorable experience, try one of the Obikà mozzarella places....

www.obika.it/english/restaurant-in-rome.html

Lots of delightful treats from down here in Campania on both their menu and winelist!

Peter

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

I've been going to Rome for years. I've enjoyed cappuccino at every hour imaginable. I've never seen an eyebrow raised or been given the impression by anyone likely to influence my caffeine-oriented decisions that ordering cappuccino after a particular hour is in any way more weird than, say, ordering an espresso first thing in the morning. Strangely, the only people I have ever come across who *do* express the opinion that the taking of cappuccino post meridian constitutes the breaking of some kind of sacred taboo have been doing so so on internet fora. Certainly none of them have even been either baristas or waiters, still less Roman ones.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Eat After Lunch Hours

Ah, Insalata Riccas - I have such a soft spot for the one by Campo de'Fiori for so many reasons, not that the food is the best in Rome but it has always been fine - just for some very fond memories there and it is a good choice if you eating in the middle of the day.

I've done so a few times over the years when I've been at an appointment for longer than planned and then found I could just plop down outside (if nice out) and have a good, decent meal for a good price -

Excellent suggestion Peter! I always forget they are open all day for some reason whenever this question comes up.