We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best family pizza resturant

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
381 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best family pizza resturant

Our 11 year old son wants to find the best pepperoni in rome. My husband likes to sit down to eat. Can you help me please them both

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best family pizza resturant

Lots of people will probably answer your question, but most of them will have tried no more than three or four pizza restaurants in Rome, so they can hardly tell you which is the best.

I make no pretense at recommending a pizza restaurant. My husband and I just follow our noses, and so far, we haven't had a bad pizza. However, you won't find anything that resembles an American pepperoni pizza in Rome. Pizzas in Italy are usually single serving, the crust is much thinner, and they don't use that goopy pizza cheese that they call mozzarella in the US, but doesn't even resemble the real mozzarella. The closest to pepperoni pizza would probably be pizza with salami. Pizza alla diavola has hot salami slices on it.

There are lots of sit-down pizza restaurants in Rome. Most also serve other things. One pizza restaurant I like is Rossopomodoro. It's part of a chain, but they serve good Naples-style pizzas and well as some other specialties of Naples. They have a restaurant at Largo Argentina, near the Pantheon. Here is their menu (in Italian):

www.mktftp.com/mkt/ipad/index.html#/1/zoomed

Their "pizza massese" has tomato, mozzarella, spicy salami, and basil. That sounds like it might work.

San Diego
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best family pizza resturant

I'm sorry to report that it's very rare to find a pepperoni pizza in Italy... it is largely an American creation. You are much more likely to find salami or prosciutto as the preferred meat topping on your authentic Italian pizza. For some of the better pizzas I've had in Rome, try one of the following: Da Baffetto, Le Montecarlo or Dar Poeta.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best family pizza resturant

I think peporoni itself is an American creation. Salami or cured sausage are the closest thing to it in Italy, and salami isn't like American salami, either.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best family pizza resturant

True, you won't find American style Peperoni in Rome, so best to go for Pizza Diavola. They have it at most pizzerias. Just my opinions, but some good ones I've found are:

Ristorante Al Braciere - Via della Chiesa Nuova. Some of the best prices in the centre, especially for main courses.

Montecarlo - Vicolo Savelli. Some of the best pizza in Rome, and a local's favourite.

Navona Notte - Via del Teatro Pace. Nice place, nice prices, nice pizza.

L'Isola della Pizza - Via degli Scipioni. Close to the Vatican, very good pizza and very much a favourite amongst the local crowd.

Amalfi - Via dei Gracchi. Again, close to the Vatican, and different in that it serves Neapolitan style pizza rather than Roman, but still very good.

La Fraschetta - Via di San Francesco a Ripa. Nice little place in Trastevere, always bustling with locals.

Pizzeria Ai Marmi - Viale Trastevere. Get there early if you want to avoid waiting, it fills up very quickly because everyone knows it's great pizza.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best family pizza resturant

Don't try to ask for peperoni in a restaurant unless you want a serving of red or yellow bell peppers. Peperoni in italian means bell pepper

Denver, Colorado
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best family pizza resturant

Check this website for a top ten list of a local. It shows some pictures and gives you an idea of what pizza looks like in Rome/Italy.

10best.com/destinations/…

A place that my wife and I have been to a couple times that we truly enjoyed, our teenage boys also like, is Est. Est. Est.

7. Re: Best family pizza resturant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 07:16