We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best place to spend Easter weekend in Italy?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where is the best place to spend Easter weekend in Italy?

Was wondering where the best place to spend Good Friday and Easter Sunday (can be two different cities) based on traditions. I am a practicing Catholic and was hoping to get the most out of being in Italy over Easter weekend, but wasn't sure if Rome, Florence, Venice, or some other city is the best for it! Please help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best place to spend Easter weekend in Italy?

Jerusalem for Good Friday and Rome for Easter would be my ideal. But seeing as you are in Italy, experience it in Rome. Hopefully by that time the new Pontiff would have been on the Seat. Interesting and exciting times.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best place to spend Easter weekend in Italy?

Easter processions are scheduled in many little Italians town and the whole towns are involved. Staying in Rome would mean to limit the Easter event only in Vatican City and being absorbed into the chaotic routine for the rest of the time. Cascia in Umbria, Alessandria del Carretto in Calabria, Mottola and San Giovanni Rotondo in Puglia are few examples where to blend with locals during the Easter festivities.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best place to spend Easter weekend in Italy?

Most of the towns I know have processions on Good Friday. Around here, there are no processions on Easter itself.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best place to spend Easter weekend in Italy?

For a religious person, the best experience probably would be an Easter Vigil service, which begins in the dark, with the tradition of lighting the "new fire", and in the middle of the service, suddenly bursts into the joy, lights, and music of Easter with the entrance of a statue of the risen Christ. In almost any church in Italy, this is a very moving service. I'm not Catholic, but I find this service very beautiful. It's a very long service, though, with many readings from the Bible, and it ends after midnight. There are often baptisms during the service. At the Vatican, you need tickets to attend it; they're free, but numbers are limited. If you'd like to try, you can follow the instructions here:

vatican.va/various/prefettura/index_en.html

If you can't get tickets, I'd attend the Easter Vigil service at one of the other large basilicas in Rome.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best place to spend Easter weekend in Italy?

Although of no particular religious inclination ourselves, this is where we go for the procession on Good Friday....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/procida1

Nearby Sorrento has two - one during the night between Thursday and Friday, and another which starts around 8PM on the Friday.

Here on Ischia there's a whole mix of such events - including "The Angel's Run" in Forio, on the Sunday morning....

ischianews.com/en/events/details/3357.html

For this year's dates and times - although the articles may mostly be in Italian - you can try....

www.ischianews.com/en/events/festivals.html

I expect there'll be an Easter edition of the island's bilingual visitor magazine - with last year's ("Aprile") perhaps of interest for its articles on such things!

ischianews.com/it/…2.html

Have a look on Youtube for footage - and use Pasqua if Easter doesn't find much!

For instance, Procida:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r0ogjV-7Xs

... Forio..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCmB9QVqt5U

But if trying to get to or from Sorrento on Easter Sunday, do note this re the local train service:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k61…

Peter

6. Re: Where is the best place to spend Easter weekend in Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 06:16