We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 nights -- Rome/Florence or Rome/Positano/Florence? HELP!!

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
9 nights -- Rome/Florence or Rome/Positano/Florence? HELP!!

I will be flying into Rome with my wife (arriving at 9:30 a.m.), styaing for 9 nights, and flying out of Florence. Our flights were booked with points and we are pretty much locked in. We also have 4 nights booked at the front end of our trip at the Rome Cavieleri, and will have to pay for any other hotels.

We're having a hard time deciding how to allocate the rest of our time and I'm hoping you all can help! I'm thinking about the three following options:

(1) 3 nights in Rome (cancel one of the 4 free nights), then 3 nights in Positano, then 3 nights in Florence.

(2) 3 nights in Rome, 3 nights in a city in Tuscany (Siena? Lucca?), and 3 nights in Florence.

(3) 4 nights in Rome, 5 nights in Florence (with day trips).

Some background on us: we are 32 (me) and 29 (her), no kids, and we think this may be our last big trip before we start a family. We have many other places we would like to see in the world as well, so odds are we won't get back to Italy for a while.

We would LOVE to go to Positano (or elsewhere on the Amalfi Coast), but I'm worried about losing too much time traveling down from Rome, then all the way back up to Florence. That said...it looks amazing, and maybe it's worth it, even if we lose some time. We both love history and would to see Pompeii on a day trip, perhaps go to Capri, rent a zodiak and motor up the coast, laze on the beach, etc.

Also, one of our favorite things to do together is wine tasting. We go a few weekends a year in CA, and we went on our trip to Spain last year. We plan to take a day trip wine tasting in Tuscany, and we may add a second day depending on which option we choose. We would have plenty of time to do this if we don't go to the Amalfi Coast. We would also really like to visit different Tuscan towns and experience the main attractions in Florence.

So what do you think? Is 3 nights enough time to see Rome or should we bump it to 4? We would really like to see ancient Rome, the Vatican, and the other popular sites. Are we wasting too much time travelling down to Positano or staying in another Tuscan city in addition to Florence? Are we better off picking one hotel in Florence for 5 nights to serve as our base, and take day trips to the extent we want to visit other towns, wine taste, etc.?

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Many thanks to all!!!

RomeInLimo Tours & Excursions
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours
Miles & Miles Tour Company - Tours
Private Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
The Roman Food Tour
Night Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Food Tours
Withlocals
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Food Tours
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 9 nights -- Rome/Florence or Rome/Positano/Florence? HELP!!

I would suggest 5 nights in Rome and 4 nights in Florence (or 2 nights Siena, with the car, and 2 nights in Florence without the car). You will have the same problem staying at the Cavelieri that you did in Barcelona. It is not within walking distance of anything, so you will miss the night life in Rome, which is a pity. It is a beautiful hotel (stayed there for a night in October) but I would want to be somewhere in the center, even if I had to pay for it.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: 9 nights -- Rome/Florence or Rome/Positano/Florence? HELP!!

Thanks, ny. Trojan, perhaps? I'll take it to the Tuscany board and try to figure out the rest over there.

ohio
Level Contributor
524 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 9 nights -- Rome/Florence or Rome/Positano/Florence? HELP!!

Momcat,

Without arguing.

This is someone's first trip, and probably won't be back for 15 to 20 years if starting a family.

Of course we would all love to stay in Rome for a month, Tuscany for a month, etc. etc.

His last post (which he posted while I was typing my opinion) is a great option for 9 nights.

To the OP

Even if you don't stay in Siena, and just stay the 5 nights in Florence. Trying staying as late as you can in Siena before taking a bus back. Or pack an overnight bag and find an inexpensive hotel. We stay at one that in $60 which include breakfast and is by the bus station.

when I said drive to Florence, I meant drive to a car rental place outside the ZTL

We are all trying to be helpful!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,768 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: 9 nights -- Rome/Florence or Rome/Positano/Florence? HELP!!

I'm not suggesting the OP stay longer in Rome, I was commenting on someone else's remark that Rome was best seen quickly - nothing to do with the OP's trip - I was curious as to who said that.

It came across as though it was some sort of well known saying.

I'm guessing the OP knew what I meant; if not, now he/she does.

15. Re: 9 nights -- Rome/Florence or Rome/Positano/Florence? HELP!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 06:16