We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long will it take?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
How long will it take?

Hi there,

Will be staying a block or so from Termini station - we love to walk and feel that this sounds like the best way of exploring the city.

We are trying to pre-book a couple of tours, Vatican and the Coloseum.

Can anyone give us an approximate time it will take to walk to both historic sites please?

I understand that the Vatican may be a long stretch but we need to make sure we book the correct time for the start of our tour.

Thank you

Historic Sites, Ancient Ruins
Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
Roman Forum
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Palatine Hill
Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How long will it take?

You'll be doing a ton of walking at both destinations so I'd take the metro to both places. Colosseo stop for the Colosseum, Ottaviano for the Vatican.

Your Colosseum ticket gets you into the Forum & Palatine as well - both not to be missed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long will it take?

i would say the colosseum is about 20 minutes for a fast walker, so let's say a half hour. for the vatican, at least an hour. This assumes you walk with the intent of getting there, rather than doing what most visitors do, which is stop and look at things along the way. I agree with PhillyWill about taking metro to the vatican museum although I'd walk to the colosseum. sometimes the process of getting to and from, and down and up the metro wastes more time and energy than it saves.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long will it take?

Thanks both for taking the time to reply to my post.

Think we'll walk to the Colosseum and take the metro to the Vatican - maybe if we feel up to it we'll walk back.

It will be nice to experience the metro in Rome even if we don't enjoy the actual experience, if you know what I mean - can't be worse than NY City - or am I mistaken?

Thanks again.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long will it take?

The most direct route between Termini and the Vatican Museums entrance/exit is just under three miles. After walking around the museums (which themselves cover about a third of a mile, from end to end) I doubt you'll have the energy to walk back. If you'd like to walk, I'd do it on the way over, which is downhill.

The metro in Rome is worse than New York, unless they've installed some new cars in the last couple of years. The last time I was on it, October of 2011, the subway car reminded me of the old ones in New York, circa 1970.

Edited: 01 March 2013, 12:14
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How long will it take?

Use google maps to calculate walking distances to various sites.

6. Re: How long will it take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 05:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now