We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, OH
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

Our family of 4 (2 parents, 2 teens) will be in Rome for 3 days before an Eastern Med Cruise. Here is our itinerary with questions if anyone has advice:

1) Thursday, June 27 Arrive Rome FCO 9:30am Pre-arranged car service or taxi to apartment in Campo Di Fiori -- any suggestions for reliable service?

Drop bags and tour the city to get our bearings. Thinking of doing Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps. Any ideas?

2) Friday June 28 Vaitican/St. Peters/Sistine tour. Plan to book semi-private skip the line tour with either Context or RomeWalks. Have also read posts that tell people not to bother doing Vatican tour in late June because of crowds and heat. I know my husband really wants to do this. Trying to decide on 8am tour or afternoon tour.

Need a few ideas for the rest of the day after Vatican tour.

3) Saturday June 29 Colluseum/Forum/Pallatine Hill tour. Will book with same company as above to do a semi-private tour. Any other suggestions for rest of day?

4) Sunday June 30 - travel to Port of Civitavecchia from Campo Di Fiori. Train or private car service?

I'm looking for filler ideas for the afternoons when we're not doing the major site tours. Since we'll have the 2 teens (19 and 16) I don't want to get them "museumed-out" since the cruise will include a lot of museums at the ports as well. Also, any non-touristy restaurant ideas for 3 nights would be very appreciated.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

We've used RomeCabs in the past--very good service. You can get them from the airport and to the ship.

http://www.romecabs.com/

Day 1--like your idea of being outside--you could work your way from the Campo through Piazza Navona, then on to the Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps. There is a taxi stand at the Spanish Steps, in case you're too tired to walk back.

Day 2--early tour probably best. No AC in the museums. Kids might like climbing the Dome of St Peters. Castel Sant'Angelo is very near there; it's pretty interesting. Shopping in your neighborhood is varied and fun.

Day 3--there are some interesting churches around the Colosseum area (Sta Maria Maggiore, San Pietro in Vincoli) for after.

I really enjoy just wandering around. The streets are charming and full of restaurants and shops. You will be staying in a lovely area; you should have no trouble finding some good restaurants.

Dublin, OH
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

Thank you so much, Romagnome, for your tips on RomeCabs and places to visit around the Vatican and Colloseum area. With the 8am Vatican tour on our second day, I wonder if that will be difficult to make since we will be jetlagged. Is it difficult to get to Vatican City from Campo di Fiori area?

Other critiques of our itinerary are welcome as well!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,770 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

Look at your map - it is an easy walk to the Vatican museums from Campo de'fiori but it will take at least 30 minutes - so, if an early admission time, you may want to jump in a taxi - it won't cost that much. After that first morning, you can begin to figure out the buses, etc (which are great).

How you react to jet lag is unknown. I come in from NYC early in the morning into Italy and end up staying awake (trying to be outside mostly) until about 3 or 4 - then I just fade away and succumb to a nap BUT always set my alarm and give myself no more than one hour nap so that I can then later go to sleep around 10 - 10:30 and then I'm good to go by the next morning.

But if you do nap - which is tough not to do - always set your alarm or you can wind up sleeping for hours and then your internal clock can be messed up for a few days.

Depending on where you are in Campo de'fiori - it is a nice walk going in the direction of the Vatican, along Via Giulia - look at your map and you will see it - it is a lovely street, with great history that your guidebook will have - really a nice walk until the end of it and then just follow the Tiber until the bridge to cross over - Vatican City is huge so even once you are on the other side and you can see the Basilica, you still would have a ways to go.

If you take a taxi over - you could take the walk back - in any case, do not miss walking Via Giulia; it is also a quick walk from where you are to cross over Ponte Sisto into Trastevere.

Dublin, OH
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

MomCat, thank you for the ideas. We've never traveled to Europe so the jet lag will be a new experience for us! Yes, I know that we can't take a nap right away or it will ruin the first day. It will be hard not to do but that's a great idea to take a quick nap and set the alarm. Good idea to take the taxi over to the Vatican and walk back along the Via Giulia or to go into Trastevere. Are taxis pretty easy to find in Campde'fiori? I really truly appreciate advice from experienced travels such as yourself!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

I second MomCat's nap suggestion. We used to just GO GO GO until bedtime, but it's really hard to do. Now, around 3 or 3:30, we head back to the hotel/apt and crash, but only for 1.5 hours. Set your alarm and GET UP when it goes off. You will have just enough energy to make it to bedtime.

My suggestion for getting to the Vatican--take a cab. You will be walking a LOT when you get there. If you feel up to it, you could walk home. My preferred approach to the Vatican is across the Ponte San Angelo, which is right across from the Castel Sant'Angelo. Beautiful pedestrian bridge, with all the angels on it. Awesome photo op of the Castel, as well. Then, when you turn left to head for the Vatican, you are looking down the Via della Conciliazione--another spectacular view, this time St Peters.

I have to say (forgive me, MomCat) that I found Via Giulia a big disappointment. The only thing I liked was the lovely arched walkway over the street that was supposed to connect the Palazzo Farnese with a garden on the other side of the river. The guide books talk of beautiful palazzos and shops galore. There were no shops and all the palazzo doors were shut; couldn't see anything.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,770 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

No shops? Did you go when they were all closed? There are shops in many of the ground floor street fronts as well as a number of galleries.

Knowing the history of the street and the history of the palazzos is a great part of what makes the street so interesting - I do find it beautiful - looking up at the palazzos (or what are now mostly housing apartments or some other types of offices) - a lot of the double doors are closed, for security reasons. But, I love when they are open - they are as wide and high as they are because it was through those doors that the horse and carriages would enter.

I used to stay there with friends who lived on the street and really did spend a lot of time walking it, slowly looking at all the buildings, etc. It is my personal favorite street but everyone has different tastes. An American I met on it last year said she thought it was an alley and was wondering where the actual street was. We all see things differently.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

LOL, I know!! That's why I was SO disappointed! We were there in the morning (but I don't remember the day of the week--maybe that has something to do with it). I'd heard so much about this street, and had never made it over there; finally, on one visit we had time to wander over there. The arch was lovely, and I had to get a pic of me standing under a street sign (my name is Julia), but it went "downhill" after that. We kept wondering where the shops were, and honestly, I thought the buildings didn't look any prettier than others.

Baseballmom, I hope you do wander over there and take a look though!

Viera, Florida
Level Contributor
901 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

I beat jet lag every time I go by getting up around 3:30am on the morning that I travel. That way when I get on the plane I am very close to being on Rome time and I am very tired. I go to sleep right after dinner in taken up and sleep usually until around Paris then I awake, brush my teeth, drink my coffee, and when we land I am fresh and ready to enjoy Rome. This has worked 4 times...I usually get to bed around 10:00 my first night in Rome and never skip a beat!

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

Advise:2day tour in ROME for

elderly couple that can'nt walk

too much.

Zee

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,770 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Day Rome Itinerary and Questions - Please Critique

Zee - you should probably post a new thread with your questions so you have a better chance of people responding since some people have already commented here, they may not return to this thread.

When you do start the new thread - can you say whether you want a private tour for just the two of you in which you would have a driver/guide to take you around or a tour that you can join with other people?

To start the new thread, click on "Ask a Question" - a new page will come up and you choose (from the drop down menu) which forum you want it in - in your case, choose Rome; then put a title in for your question and then submit it.