We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican and scavi tours

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican and scavi tours

We will be arriving in Rome on 6 march for 4 days. We had booked the Vatican tour and the Scavi tours on the 8th. We got a notice that the Vatican tour is canceled. We have heard nothing about the scavi tour. I contacted the Vatican office who told me my tickets for the tour exclude entrance to the Vatican museums and to check their website which doesn't say much about this. So do I assume that I can still get into the Vatican museum but not the Sistine Chapel? No tours but you can enter? And Scavi tour? Please help!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican and scavi tours

Well, the Scavi and the museum are very separate. That's odd that they would cancel your tour. Did they say it's all cancelled, or just the tour? Unless they said the whole thing is closed, I would say you can still get in the museum, there just won't be a tour. I would e-mail them with those specific questions. And unless you hear directly from the Scavi office, your tour of that should still be on.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican and scavi tours

They have canceled all tours of the museums for the month of March due to the conclave. You should email them directly to see if you can still use the voucher to get into the museums. You may need to make a new reservation now that the tour is canceled. This shouldn't be a problem since you haven't paid anything yet.

As Romagnome has mentioned, the scavi and the museums are two different areas and are not connected. One ticket is not good for both. You should have two separate confirmations, one for the scavi and one for the museums tour. If you did not send an email requesting the scavi then you don't have a reservation for it. It is not included with the vatican museums tour.

help.musei@scv.va

You can ask them directly if your reservation time will still be honored even though the tour is canceled or if you need to make another reservation.

Donna

Edited: 01 March 2013, 19:53
Boston...
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican and scavi tours

Has anyone heard if they are still doing the scavi tour? I have not gotten a cancelation for that tour.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican and scavi tours

The Conclave of Cardinals will have no effect on Scavi tours. The only part of the Vatican that will be closed is the Sistine Chapel.

Boston...
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican and scavi tours

thanks Nick....good news!

Kingsland, Georgia
Level Contributor
97 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican and scavi tours

I just sent off a request for Scavi tour reservations for April and I am wondering what the procedure is to pay for them if I am lucky enough to get the spaces we need within our four day window?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican and scavi tours

You pay when you get there.

Donna

Kingsland, Georgia
Level Contributor
97 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican and scavi tours

Well it took a bit less than a week to hear back about the Scavi tour and we were lucky enough to get a slot early Wednesday afternoon on the 16th of April.

It says that we need to confirm the reservation within 10 days of April 2nd which should not be a problem.

We were lucky to get these slots I think since it also said they would be closed for Easter from April17-22.

So looking forward to this and so amazed we get to see these awesome sites and also get to be in St Peters on Saturday night for the Easter Vigil Mass.

Only question I have about the Scavi tour: It says the tour is conducted by one of their specialized guides. Is it permitted to tip these guides and if so, what might be the correct amount? Certainly do not wish to offend anyone.

thanks

9. Re: Vatican and scavi tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 07:19