We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borghese security-checking belongings

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
277 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Borghese security-checking belongings

We recently received confirmation for our visit to the Borghese in June, and the e-mail says that all items will have to be checked--including not just bags and back packs, but purses, cameras, and umbrellas. I really do not like the idea of checking my purse (in which I'll have wallet, passport, credit cards, digital camera, etc.). I wasn't planning on using any kind of money belt during our trip, but may have to do so that day in order to not leave money, cfedit cards and passport checked inside my purse. Is it true that you have to go through the Borghese with literally NOTHING? Or, does the English word "purse" in their e-mail (which I would interpret as a not too large hand or shoulder bag--or pocketboook) refer to something much bigger in Italian?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borghese security-checking belongings

I just did the Borghese tour--and you have to check your purse. I didn't know that going in but everything was fine. They check it to the back room and give you a key to hold. Then you give them the key when you are done and they get your stuff. KateATL

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Borghese security-checking belongings

Purse might be referring to borsetta, typical of women carried over a shoulder, big enough to keep wallet, passport etc. etc.

So I guess anything bigger than a wallet will be checked or at least that's what they are wrinting.

I dont think you have to go through the Villa with nothng on you, they are just telling that all you belongings will be checked.

If you do not like the idea of being searched (your person or your belongings), then that's another story.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borghese security-checking belongings

Do they mean "check" as in, security check? Like going through the airport? Or "check" as in, here's a ticket, leave your stuff with us, come back and get it when you're done?

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
277 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borghese security-checking belongings

They mean "check" as in "leave your stuff and retrieve it when you exit." I'll probably just plan to wear something with deep pockets and remove wallet and passport to carry with me before checking my pocketbook.

Blue Ridge, Georgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Borghese security-checking belongings

Got my acceptance today (Friday) for June 13, for the 9:00 - 11:00 time slot. Glad you asked and got answers for this question.

Malta
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Borghese security-checking belongings

KateATL, could you please clarify? do yu mean you have to leave all your belongings incl. camera at the back room and then retrieve them once you're finished touring the Galleria? Are photos not allowed?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Borghese security-checking belongings

Malteser,

Yes. I had to check anything I was carrying--which also included a bag of souveniers and my purse and camera. I don't travel outside the hotel with my passport but my purse(which in and of itself I was reluctant to check because it is worth more than the camera or anything else in it :)) had to be checked. I transferred my cash, driver's license and hotel key to my pockets. There are no pictures allowed. That said, it really was fine. They give you a key to the locker where they put your purse and you just give them the key when you're done and they retireve your stuff. KateATL

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Borghese security-checking belongings

People are usually a bit leery of checking their belongings but I have yet to hear of anyone having something stolen. If you feel strongly against checking your items than take essentials in a neck wallet and leave everything in your hotel.

Visitors to the Borghese Gallery are allowed to get right next to the artwork. They can't take the risk of people banging into items with their purses/bags.

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Borghese security-checking belongings

Does anyone know if a notepad and pencil are permitted ?

albuquerque
Level Contributor
963 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Borghese security-checking belongings

We also had to check our purses, but it was not a problem. They go into an individual locker and you hold the key.

Also, it may surprise you that in many hotels you do not take your key with you when you go out, but leave it at the front desk. The keys tend to be big and heavy and so you won't want to carry them. I wouldn't leave valuables in the room unless there's a safe, but in truth I have never had a problem with this key system. If you want to impress your hotel desk staff, be sure to ask for the key by room number in Italian!