We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only going to be in ROME for 36 hours

Pennsauken, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Only going to be in ROME for 36 hours

I know there is WAY too much to see in a day and a 1/2 but what is my best option to get into the most important locations, Colosseum, Vatican, Trevi fountain & St Peters Basilica. We are thinking of going o the underground tour. Any suggestions?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,593 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only going to be in ROME for 36 hours

Hmmm.....okay 36 hours.

Pre-book the Colosseum underground tour (see the thread on Rome forums which give detailed information on this). You will be given a time for the tour so you'll have to base the rest of your day around this time. You can walk around the historic centre (Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps and then walk to the Colosseum in time for your tour - depending on the tour time - they're all easy enough to access by walking if you're reasonably fit).

St. Peters - go there early - like 9am - and you'll get through the security check fairly quickly. If you leave it, the lines get really long. The Basilica is free but the cupola (dome) is a small extra cost (5 euros for the stairs, 7 for the elevator). The Vatican Museums are a different story - always busy and crowded - so pre-book this as well but you may not have time for this as they are enormous. If you're going in the next few weeks, the Sistine Chapel will be closed.

Your time is really short, so personally I would drop the Vatican Museums/St. Peters (unless you're desperate to see it) and just stick to the other side of the river and explore the historic centre. Try to take time out to just sit in a piazza, have a drink and absorb your surroundings. Rushing around cramming in the sights is exhausting - take the time to just 'be' in Rome. I hope you love it.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,277 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only going to be in ROME for 36 hours

It would help to know when and where you will be arriving, also when and where you will be departing? Where do you plan to spend the one night?

For instance, if you arrive at the train station early in the a.m. you could leave your luggage in the left luggage facility and take the metro directly to the Colosseum (1.50 Euro). The Forums entrance doesn't usually have a line. Look to the top right for Top Questions, there's one for pre-purchasing tickets to skip the line at the Colosseum if you wish.

The map in your guidebook will show the walk to Trevi Fountain. Then crossing Via del Corso to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Castel Sant'Angelo and St. Peters Basilica (free entrance after going thru the security line).

Your map will show the Metro stop, Ottaviano-San Pietro, so you can go back to Termini, collect your luggage and continue on to your hotel.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,503 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Only going to be in ROME for 36 hours

Perhaps of interest for planning....

36 Hours In...Rome:

telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/italy/rom…

36 Hours in Rome:

…nytimes.com/2010/10/10/travel/10hours.html…

Vagabonda

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only going to be in ROME for 36 hours

I agree with ocpony, knowing more information would be helpful with planning this itinerary. We need to know where you're coming from and where you're staying in order to make the most of your short time in Rome.

You can book the time of the colosseum tour on their website so I would do this first in order to plan the rest of your day around it. The information is at the top of this page under the Top Questions.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only going to be in ROME for 36 hours

I myself would skip the Underground Tour when you have such a short time. It will chop up your day, and you have only one full day. You definitely wouldn't have time to do this tour and also visit the Vatican Museums, but you could visit St. Peter's Basilica.

In fact, if you want to visit the Vatican Museums, I would suggest viewing the Colosseum only from the outside, and perhaps walking around the area a bit to see the other ancient monuments that can be seen pretty well from Via dei Fori Imperiali.

Pennsauken, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Only going to be in ROME for 36 hours

We are going to be there Friday March 15- Sun March 17th but have to be to the airport fairly early on Sunday. We will be driving from Sorrento and staying on Via Frascati, but at this point we are not sure if we will be driving directly up on the highway or taking the coast. We have a rental car. I am thinking the first day/eve when we arrive to do the underground tour. I really am thankfull for everyones input. This is the first time I've travelled to italy and all of your experience sharing is very helpful.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Only going to be in ROME for 36 hours

Via Frascati is pretty far out, but at least you'll be near the metro. You cannot drive in Rome, I hope you are aware. You will be able to get to Via Frascati but not sure how the parking is around there. You won't be able to take the car to the center because of ZTLs

8. Re: Only going to be in ROME for 36 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 05:17