We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back- spendide royal hotel

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
just back- spendide royal hotel

we had a very nice stay at the Splendide Royale which is right near the Borghese Gardens- view was incredible- had cocktails with a fabulous view of Rome. Restaurant was very good but I was so tired from jet lag-didn't really enjoy it . We went to Vatican with a private guide- highly recommended- the line at 8 :15 was VERY long!!! We went thru in about 2 hours- been before but not SIL. Hit the top sights with a driver and ate at a trattoria- very good- ate at Il bacarra 2nd night- excellent!! We never had a bad meal the whole time we were in Italy. My SIL and I went to the spanish steps bought fake Prada purse, Fendi sunglasses-BEWARE if you say you like it they will chase you down until you buy!!! We then went to the other side of Rome to a few churches- can't remeber names but concierge recommended them- one had the steps jesus walked up- saw Moses and St. peter's chains and then the nails that jesus was crucified with at Holy cross of Jerusalem church- We left for Umbria after 2 days in Rome and then to Flrence for 3 nights. Great trip!!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just back- spendide royal hotel

Glad you had a nice time and thanks for posting for us addicts !! Where is Il Bacarra ??? I am making my list of recommended restaurants for my next trip !! Can't wait to go back and see everything that I missed !!! Thanks !!!

Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back- spendide royal hotel

They pressured you into buying the fake, huh? Well, thank your lucky stars you didn't get caught by the polizia or by customs. The fines are more than the real deal!!

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just back- spendide royal hotel

Glad to hear you liked the Splendide Royal. We were considering it for our hotel; maybe we'll consider it again.

Sounds like a fantastic trip!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just back- spendide royal hotel

I don't remember the street but it was down a small street with apartments- we took a cab- I'm sure they could find it- I had the sliced beef- fantastic!!

As far ast the fake Prada- those guys are all over Italy- we nevr saw Polizia-

Iota
Level Contributor
217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just back- spendide royal hotel

We have a private guide for vatican/st peters booked for the 4 of us in early june. Question? As reported, the lines are very long..Is there anyway that we can purchase our tickets prior to tour?? our tour is at 8:30a.m. I really hate to pay $50 an hour to stand in line. I asked our guide via mail and reply was no one can avoid the lines, wait time is unpredictable & tix purchased must be used same day.

I am sure she knows what she is saying & I trust the connections for this guide. It 's just that i have read that tour groups enter differently and wanted to know if this applies to individual guides??

Thanks

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just back- spendide royal hotel

we just walked up and bought tickets- no line at all- you do not stand in the LONG line of people without guides.

Iota
Level Contributor
217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just back- spendide royal hotel

Great!! Thanks. I guess when I saw you mention the line at 8:15 was VERY long I assumed you meant for yourself as well. Our tour is booked for 8:30 a.m., 4 hours. (Vatican/St.Peter's/Sistine) then later in week Scavi tour. So glad we were able to get confirmed for scavi!! Thanks again. Anything else you think may be helpful, let me know.

We will be staying in flat near Piazza Cavour. So far, I have been told that this a great location. How long is walking distance from there to Trastevere & Colosseum??

8. Re: just back- spendide royal hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 16:18