We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Speed Trains

Ontario
Level Contributor
715 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
High Speed Trains

I realize this question has been answered a million times and I did try to look at previous posts, but I am confused lol.

We are looking to fly to Rome, then head to Florence, then go to Pisticci. What rail service is our best option? Is it Italiarail?

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,051 reviews
from US$77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,844 reviews
from US$125.00*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,644 reviews
from US$58.00*
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Speed Trains

Use the official rail site of trenitalia, not italiarail. they are a reseller.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

You can enter dates for before June 9 to see the schedules and prices. Trains for after June 9 have not been loaded yet, as this is when they do the schedule changes for the end of the year. The schedule won't change much so you can get a good idea of costs and time tables.

Donna

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: High Speed Trains

Hi.

high-speed train operated by trenitalia (http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD from Roma Termini Station) or Italo (http://www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx from Roma Tiburtina and Roma Ostiense stations). Journey time is about 1:20.

There are also slow "Regional trains" with a journey time of about 3:45 hrs

Ontario
Level Contributor
715 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Speed Trains

Thank you sooo much. This has been the only "obstacle" I am having with booking this trip.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Speed Trains

Are you flying into Rome and then going directly to Florence?

If so, I'd wait and purchase my train tickets there, just in case your plane is late. As you can see from the schedule, they're quite frequent.

Ontario
Level Contributor
715 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Speed Trains

To be quite honest I am having a hard time figuring out the website lol. I booked and planned our trip to Prague no problem. However, we did alot of walking and only stayed in Prague except for one tour. Or we took a taxi. I don't understand where the stations are cause it seems there are 3-4 in Rome alone? No we are not going directly to Florence. This is my initial itinerary and any comments are welcome. We would arrive in Rome on May 18th at 1:20pm. We would stay in Rome until the 21st. Then go to Florence to the 23rd. After that my husband and I would head to Pisticci until the 26th (we fly out of Rome at 3:10pm, so hopefully we could an early train). Our friends travelling with us are going to venture on their own somewhere else. I believe they may go to Venice. We are going to Pisticci because my husband has a work associate whose family owns Torre Fiore.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Speed Trains

The official site mentioned above is not very friendly to non-Italians in my opinion. Even on the English language version, it has a good many things in Italian. It requires that you use the Italian names of the cities, and in many cities it requires that you choose a station. (If you see the choice "tutte le stazioni", that means "all stations".

I find this site much friendlier, and also less cluttered:

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

It has one disadvantage; it shows only the base prices on the main page. To see the available discounts, you have to select a train and continue to the next page, where you'll see all available discounts, including some that you won't see on the main page of the other site.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High Speed Trains

There are indeed lots of stations in Rome )and in other cities), but many are used only by local commuter trains. The three in Rome are Termini, the main station, Tiburtina, used by some high-speed trains, and Ostiense, used by long distance trains operated by Trenitalia's competitor, Italo.

www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx

You might want to check both sites. In Rome, Italo doesn't use the main Termini station at all, and the others (Tiburtina and Ostiense) are a bit out of the way for most people. For that reason, if the prices are similar, I would choose Trenitalia.

Remember that the discounted tickets have severe restrictions on changes or refunds. Unless I save a significant amount, I prefer to get a full price ticket, paying a little extra for the flexibility. I also never buy discounted tickets if there's something that could prevent me from taking that particular train, or if I'm not sure what time I want to travel.

Ontario
Level Contributor
715 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High Speed Trains

But does my itinerary seem realistic? Or is it too rushed. I realize we will not see everything.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High Speed Trains

Your time in Rome and Florence are a bit short, but I don't know what you would like to see or do in those cities. Pisticci is a long way from Rome and Florence; no matter how you're getting there, two whole days will be consumed with the travel back and forth.

Ontario
Level Contributor
715 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High Speed Trains

I thought I read that it is only a 4 hour train ride from Rome to Pisticci?