We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2013 - women's clothing

Portland, Maine
2 posts
Save Topic
June 2013 - women's clothing

I am traveling to Venice, Florence/Tuscany & Rome in June 2013. I want to pack light yet blend in. What should I pack? What are Italian women wearing? I am traveling with husband and adult children.

Vancouver, BC Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2013 - women's clothing

Casual but nice slacks and blouses. Walking shoes but not our big clodhopper runners or flip flops. Tourists wear shorts but local women don't. In June temperatures will be 25-30 C or about 85-90 F so lightweight fabrics will help you.

Enjoy!

Seattle
Level Contributor
412 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2013 - women's clothing

We are in Italy mid to late April and I am also wondering about clothing. Shoes are my big question. Only have room for two pair in my little traveling lite bag. I will take comfortable walking shoes but can't decide whether mid calf leather boots or sandals would be more appropriate for evenings. What would Italian women be wearing in April?

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2013 - women's clothing

Boots. Sandals are for the beach, and if you wear them out they are dressy and with a heel, which might not serve you too well.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2013 - women's clothing

i would get some nice three quarter length trousers, ballet pumps ( clarks do a great one with comfy sole) and chiffony blouse or flosy tops or shirt top ( stripes in this year) and maxis and blazers at night.. add a blazer to anything and it chic.. italians are into shoes and bags.. doesnt have to be designer but dress comfy ladylike and you fit right in :-) just dont dress like your going to the beach and you be fine

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,794 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2013 - women's clothing

Agree with all of the above. Wear skirts above the knee if you have the pins for it. T-shirts or tank/singlet tops with a nice scarf will keep you cool. Always wear makeup and elegant jewellery. And yes, a nice blazer always works.

At all costs avoid sweatpants in public, athletic/running shoes, backpacks, fanny packs/bum bags, cargo-style pants and also, I'd give the maxi dresses a miss. I've never seen Italian women wearing them in a place like Rome.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2013 - women's clothing

Skirts above the knee and tank tops? I don't think that's a good idea if you want to enter some of the churches.

Wear what you feel comfortable wearing both physically and mentally, If you are clean, tidy and dressed respectfully you will be fine. In the heat, I think long dresses or skirts are much cooler than minis or shorts anyway.

The best advice is to wear comfortable worn in shoes, for walking around sight seeing. As long as your feet are comfortable that's all that matters, no one's going to judge you. As my Grandmother used to tell me when I was young, how do you expect to look good when your face is contorted with pain?

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,794 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 2013 - women's clothing

The OP said she would like to 'blend in' and asked what Italian women are wearing. My response reflects what many Italian women wear in summer - they love their short skirts (and have the legs to get away with wearing them ;)

I assume the OP understands that tanks are not suitable for churches.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 09:42
Portland, Maine
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: June 2013 - women's clothing

Yes, I understand that my shoulders or knees may have to be covered at certain times. Knee length skirts look good on me so I would probably go with that. And capris.

I also am wondering about shoes. They may be a day of bike riding on Tuscany.i would normally wear sneakers here but if I wore Chaco sandals would they also work for day touring in the cities? I realize they are a bit clunkier but I only want to take 2 pairs of shoes and figure the other might be the Clark ballet flat.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 2013 - women's clothing

I didn't mean to offend anyone by mentioning that shoulders and knees should be covered when entering some churches, the fact that some people are either turned away or told to cover up shows that not everyone is aware of this.

Knee length skirts are fine, my reference to my preferring long skirts rather than minis had nothing to do with modesty or the attractiveness of one's legs, it's just that I personally feel cooler and more comfortable when I have less skin exposed to the sun.

I don't know anything about Chaco sandals but as long as they have a substantial sole and are comfortable they should be OK.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,794 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 2013 - women's clothing

About your shoes - riding a pushbike in sandals may be a little risky. When I was in Rome last September, I wore Dunlop 'Festival' volleys. They are like the tennis type Dunlop Volleys but smaller and lighter. They are meant for wearing to music festivals, so cover the feet but still look good. I got mine on E-Bay and put some arch support inserts inside them for all the walking on cobbled streets and they worked really well.