We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
872 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

This may sound just a bit too “foody” but I really enjoy good Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and we go through a lot of it at home. The best price I can find here in the USA for 12-24 month aged cheese equates to €25/kilo. We may wish to buy some vacuum-packed wedges for our trip home and we need to decide if it worth the hassle. Do any of the TA destination experts have an idea what this cheese is going for now? Are there generally better prices in some markets versus others? For instance: Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Vittorio Market, Testaccio Covered Market, Trionfale Market, etc. Would it be better to shop in Orvieto before hitting Rome?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

I bought a gigantic piece (and, yes, it was well worth the effort) for about 13 euros (I wish I could remember the weight) that would have cost me over $25 here at my favorite Italian owned shop. It was excellent - far superior than what is going here in the states for $18 plus a pound.

I stuffed that together with some vacuum packed Fontina (sigh - so good) and gorgonzola into my carry on, which I then had to check because I couldn't lift it because of all the cheese. After 2 weeks in Rome (December), all I brought back was the cheese and a giant bag of the hot red pepper flakes from the spice guy in the Campo de'Fiori market - and, yes, they are better! Together with some lightweight items I bought for some work projects, I literally could barely lift my bag but it was worth it. Car service to airport - car service to pick me up in NYC, cheese in fridge and then heavenly days followed.

With every bit of the cheese, I felt I was back there. I think it is well worth it - even if the price is the same, often the quality is not nearly as good as what you will get there.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

The wholesale price right now for 12-month parmigiano reggiano is about 8 euros per kilo, and for 24-month cheese is a little over 11 euros. The retail price for 18-month cheese is about 20 euros. 12 months would be a very young cheese, and not many people here buy it that young.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

After buying Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese both in Italy and at home, I have found that COSTCO offers the best deal for high quality cheese.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 20:32
Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
872 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

Momcat1992: Your passionate reply has convinced us to bring back a few big wedges. We visited Campo dei Fiori on our last visit and were amazed at the spice vendor's variety!

Bvlenci: Thanks for the current prices. It makes our decision very easy. I guess some of our clothes won't make it back from Italy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

Honestly, dramatic and silly as it sounds, I almost cried when I had my last piece of that parmigiano - it is so hard to find the same quality here. I do find it at my little shop but the prices have soared and this was so divine - just with a glass of wine.

I'm kicking myself about the spices - I know it is best to use them sooner than later but I'm already 1/3 of the way through my red pepper flakes as I use them in literally everything except my oatmeal. I wish I had gotten more and wish I had gotten some of the other spices he sells. I was saving room for the darn cheese and I really did still have space left if I had had the time to get more spices.

Lutherville...
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

Thanks so much for posting! I was planning on the olive oil and lemoncello but hadn't considered cheese and spices! Just went out to buy a collapsable duffle for my suitcase to fill as my carry-on for coming home. My backpack will have to be my "personal item" now...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

You can't bring back the fresh cheeses like mozzarella so know which of the fresh ones you can't bring back and sadly, we can't bring back salamis, prosciutto or any of those other goodies; just have to inhale them all while there.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,525 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

Try Grana too....a wonderful cheese......

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

Just checked the price tag on our genuine Imported DOP Italian Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese aged over 24 months purchased at COSTCO in San Diego, $10.99 a pound.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese

That would be about $24 a kilo, or about €20 a kilo. It's an excellent price, if the cheese is really good. However, there's DOP and there's DOP, and every Italian who shops for food knows it.