We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Sightseeing Tips

Colombo
10 posts
Save Topic
Rome Sightseeing Tips

Hi, a friend and I are hoping to travel with Expat Explore in October. We want to see as much as we can on the trip. The trip itinerary provides for us to spend some time in Rome.(Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountation & the Colloseum are included in the places that we will be visiting).

We are thinking of skipping the tour to the Vatican City and instead of doing a bit of exploring on our own.Can we please get some tips on a few other places that we can go to during the day, in and around Rome or a short distance away from Rome? We are looking to see more natural scenery than historical sites.

Thank you!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Sightseeing Tips

There's plenty to see and do in Rome. However, you are looking for more natural scenery than historical sites. IMO, you can combine both with www.ostia-antica.org which was Rome's original port, its about 30 minutes by public transport. Look to the right under Top Questions for 'Day Trips'.

Colombo
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Sightseeing Tips

Thank you!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Sightseeing Tips

What is your definition of beauty??

I love to see the earth through God's eyes. Saying that, I mean, beautiful flowers, animals, coast lines, etc.

Rome isn't that kind of beauty. Rome's beauty is in its history, the different people who visit, and in the richness of its food

We went to Ostia and really enjoyed it. The train and metro are in the same station. You'll only need 2 one way tickets for 1.5 each. We didn't want the hassle so we bought a $6 all day ticket and then gave them away when we were done. Buy your tickets at any tobacco shop. Buying them at the station is confusing. There is no one to help you. DO NOT use the restroom in the train station. I got locked in. :0

Ostica was very easy to get to. We crossed over the little bridge and went to the right. There was a nice little deli with very nice people who didn't speak English. They were nice, we were nice and it was fun to communicate wout words. They took cc.

We toured the castle. The time was 11:00 for the tour. It was way more interesting than I thought it would be. There is no fee. The history is fascinating and I am NOT into history.

We then went to the ruins. Lucky for us, we got there after the many bus loads of kids had left. It is $10 and $3 for the map. It is very peaceful and interesting. Also being on grass and traveling at our own pace was a bonus. There is a good café (more gelato) and a reasonably priced gift shop with a cat.

Hope this helps, m

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Sightseeing Tips

The Villa Borghese Park is a very beautiful spot, just to the north of the Spanish Steps. There are great views over the city from the Pincian Overlook, above Piazza del Popolo. You can easily spend a few hours exploring the park.

Another beautiful spot is the Aventine Hill, again with great views over the city.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,635 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Sightseeing Tips

For a combination of natural sights and history, why not go out to the fabulous park along the Via Appia Antica:

http://www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/default.asp

It's a great way to spend a day.

6. Re: Rome Sightseeing Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 05:17