We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

NH
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

Hello,

I am going to be booking my trip to Rome soon. We'll be flying overnight and I'm trying to decide between two flight options that are basically the same in price.

The first is a non-stop that would arrive in Rome at 7 am. The issue would be that the hotel won't be ready for us...But it is a nonstop flight!

The second option is a 1 stop that would arrive in Rome around 2 pm. We'd be able to check into our hotel right away, but still have to deal with a flight change.

What do you guys think is the best choice? They both offer different convenience and inconvenience factors. Since I'm not a super experienced flyer I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Thanks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

I think you've answered your own question. Do you want to spend time wandering airports or spend time wandering around Rome? m

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,902 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

Nonstop definitely. Each connection gives another chance for something to wrong.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

Preference for me is a non-stop flight, less chance for a long lay-over. Your hotel should have a safe storage area where you can leave your luggage. I've always flown non-stop from Philly and arrive 7-7:30 a.m., I've always left my luggage at my hotel will no problems.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

Won't your hotel permit you to drop off baggage there even if you can't have your rooms until later? They generally store it on the day of departure if people aren't leaving direct from check-out, so I would expect them to do so also on day of arrival.

If not, look at http://www.bon-bags.com/sito/en.html and recent thread on that service. They can take luggage off you at the airport, store it and deliver it to the hotel at time specified by you. For comparison, left-luggage at Termini Station would cost €5 per item - although of course free storage by the hotel would be the best solution.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

The only non-stop flights I'm aware of from Boston to Rome these days are on Alitalia, which I generally avoid. It's probably not a big risk for a non-stop flight, however. They might not be on strike. Who knows? You might not lose your luggage. Chances are you won't die. I wouldn't worry about being on time in any case.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,044 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

I would opt for the non-stop flight and do as suggested above, go directly to your hotel with your bags and ask them to store them for you. A quick stop in a rest room to splash some water on your face and brush your teeth and you'll be good to go for several hours. You'll be in Rome, odds are you'll be so excited you won't realize you're tired.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

Most hotels will accommodate an early arrival, especially if they know about it and they are not fully booked. All hotels will hold bags if the room is not ready. The only time I have ever found this to be an issue was when renting an apartment. So yes, I definitely vote for the nonstop.

Boston...
Level Contributor
228 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

I am flying to Rome on the nonstop flight you refer to, arriving in Rome at 7AM....our hotel will be sending a driver to pick us up at the airport and they will store our luggage until our room is ready. For me, this is a no brainer. As has been said, if I am to wait for the room, I would rather be sitting in a cafe in Rome than a Dunkin Donuts in an airport.

Additionally, the nonstop will allow me to get a few hours of uninterupted sleep.

As for Ailitalia being horrible....they are no worse than any of the alternatives.

Waltham...
Level Contributor
288 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

i do this every year. go alitalia.there as good or bad as any airline.direct flight is best.hotel will let you leave bags if room is not ready.take a walk,have a coffee, glass of wine.then check in

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston-Rome Flight Question: Nonstop or 1 stop?

Certainly a no brainer. Always a non stop if your budget allows. There is nothing inconvenient about a direct flight compared to a flight with stops.