We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

papal audience in saint peter's square best position

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
183 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
papal audience in saint peter's square best position

i'm going on a pilgrimage to rome, and we're going to a papal audience.

what is the best viewing position for someone with a visual impairment?

cheers

Billy

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: papal audience in saint peter's square best position

I assume you know you need tickets? You have to get there early and the square is barricaded off on the papal audience days. I was there when the police started to let everyone in through the barricades. They check your ticket, security scan your belongings and from there, it seriously was a flat out run for the best seats, which are literally front and centre of Pope Francis' white chair under the awning. This is where I was - about four rows from the front - and the views were outstanding.

If you are the visually impaired and are with a carer, you'll have to take care over the uneven ground and walk really, really fast to get a good spot. There are no reserved seats. It's only going to be busier with the popularity of Pope Francis but it is a wonderful experience. When I was there Pope Benedict was treated like a rock star - he did a few laps in the Pope-mobile and people were screaming his name, waving, crying - it was really, really special. Hope you enjoy it.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 02:51
California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: papal audience in saint peter's square best position

Kathy . . .

Approximately how long did the whole event last? We have tickets for mid May and I'm not sure what time it's over. Also how early were you there to get such a great seat? Would it be possible for me to run grab a seat and then save one for my mom when she catches up (because at almost 66 she's not gonna run :)?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: papal audience in saint peter's square best position

Hey Jennifer

We were there for quite a few hours. From memory we got through the barricades at about 9am and left after 1pm. Take a hat! Take sunscreen! Take an umbrella for shade/or rain! Take water! You will be sitting in that seat for a LONG time. I think the nearest bathroom/rest room is located in the papal audience hall right beside the outdoor seating but I can't confirm that.

The pope doesn't arrive on a schedule. When we were there he flew in by helicoptoer from Castel Gandolfo, his summer home, and we were told he could be there any time between 10am and 1pm. The papal blessing was beautiful - he spoke about seven different languages and to hear all the people from all these nations recognise their language and yell in appreciation was just unforgettable.

Sure you could run ahead and grab some seats - it wasn't a disorganised open slather stampede for the seats. People were running but running with manners if you know what I mean! I'm sure your mom will be safe, however the seating area is huge and you could lose each other. If you both have a cell phone, maybe use them so you can grab the seats and guide your mom to your position - people were doing this when I was there - standing on the seats and doing the mad wave to their friends/family following.

Hope this helps!

California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: papal audience in saint peter's square best position

Knowing what to expect is a huge help . . . Thank you so much!! :)

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: papal audience in saint peter's square best position

Take a snack too - it really is a long wait but you'll start talking to people around you who are just as excited. Oh boy, it was so awesome. Can't wait to do it again and see Pope Francis.

Palmdale, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: papal audience in saint peter's square best position

Thank you Kathy W. for the information. I'm wondering the same thing. Which direction should I go to get the best seats? I"m thrilled when I received an email within a week of requesting 4 tickets. This will be one of my Mom's b-day wishes for her 80th birthday; i really couldn't contain my excitement, I just had to tell her.

Jennifer, my soon to be 80 yr old Mom will be with me for the papal audience. We have tickets for May 14. Maybe we can work together to secure good seats for our lovely Moms.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 08:56
Palmdale, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: papal audience in saint peter's square best position

The tickets are free and I've seen a site selling the tickets for $40 and all the reviewers mentioned they got the best seats which they couldn't have gotten if not for the help of this travel guide. Another blog that I came across mentioned he got sort of ilke a VIP tickets or Premium tickets. He said he didn't know that they were until the day before when he picked up the tickets.

Palmdale, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: papal audience in saint peter's square best position

My bad, these were 2013 postings and not 2014. Ok would love to hear Jennifer's experience now.

North York Moors...
Level Contributor
270 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: papal audience in saint peter's square best position

We have tickets for the Easter Sunday Mass and blessing,and it will be the highlight of our whole trip,a real 'bucket-list' moment. Thanks for the tips re water,sunscreen etc. And restrooms,I'm quite concerned about that,as obviously we'll be there a few hours,are they easy to find and get to,and then re-take your seat?

Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: papal audience in saint peter's square best position

I will follow this for updates as I plan to visit this summer. Would love to hear any and all information about the Papal Audience.