We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panoramic views of Rome ... which one/ones?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
182 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Panoramic views of Rome ... which one/ones?

Heading to Rome in May. I'm really looking forward to taking some excellent photos. I've started looking around online for great photo spots. As far as "views" of Rome (panoramic, of the whole city), I've come up with these as the best spots:

View from Janiculum Hill

View from Cupola of St. Peter's

View from Castel Sant’Angelo

View from Pincio Gardens

View from Capitoline Hill

Now the question is ... is it really necessary to hit all of them? I guess I would think perhaps I just need one viewpoint for panoramic? Or, are all of these so unique that I should try for them all if I have time? If not necessary, which one/ones should I choose?

Thanks!

Buenos Aires...
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Panoramic views of Rome ... which one/ones?

don't forget about going up to the vittorio emmanuelle monument in piazza venezia, nice view of the forum

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panoramic views of Rome ... which one/ones?

Though the building is ugly, the view from Vittorio Emmanuel great as is the view fr Aventine Hill. Personally I preferred the view of Rome from Vittorio Emmanuel than from the cupola of St Peter's.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 01:25
3. Re: Panoramic views of Rome ... which one/ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 July 2013, 22:23
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panoramic views of Rome ... which one/ones?

There is a terrace on top of the Capitoline Museum - if you're planning to visit the museum, head up to the terrace for some gorgeous views that are very like those form the Vittorio Emmanuel monument (great coffee from their cafe too).

Castel Sant'Angelo at sunset is stunning - if a little crowded - maybe go there in the morning.

Also - it's a hefty 534 stair climb - but the view from the very top of the St. Peter's cupola (dome) is totally worth it. Breathtaking views.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panoramic views of Rome ... which one/ones?

You can take a lift part way up the cupola and only climb 320 steps. I stopped a couple of times on the way up as the spiral staircase created some vertigo but otherwise the walk up is fine.

Viera, Florida
Level Contributor
901 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panoramic views of Rome ... which one/ones?

I just returned drom my 4th visit to Rome and finally climbed the cupola. I have to say that this was the highlight of this trip, from there you can see all of Rome!! very worth the 320 steps. I would definitely reccommend this!

Charles City, Iowa
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panoramic views of Rome ... which one/ones?

There are many places for great views, but our favorite is always from the top of the Vittorio Emman. monument. There are free telescopes there, which really enhance the experience.

8. Re: Panoramic views of Rome ... which one/ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 06:16