We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry On

kelowna
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Carry On

My husband and I are planning a trip to Venice and Rome for 12 days and I really would like to travel light. I have been looking at quite a few carry on bags but can't decide on one. Would like some suggestions on what other people are using. Thank you.

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry On

Perhaps try posting this in the Travel Gear Forum. I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions there

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel…

kelowna
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry On

Thank You, I guess I missed that topic.

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
587 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry On

www.ebags.com has some great rolling duffles. I've used them when traveling Italy before because the are easier to lift on and off trains than a traditional suit case. I bought the ebags brand. As a plus, the bottom is hard sided, so was able to bring home a couple of bottles of wine from my last trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,758 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry On

A really nice light weight wheelie, with the plus that it folds flat for storing, is the Lipault. My husband loves his.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 18:08
kelowna
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry On

Thank you for the input. I will check E-Bags website and also the Lipault brand. I have a felling it is going to be a real challenge to go on a holiday for almost two weeks with just a 21 inch carry on for each of us. lol

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
587 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry On

I actually use the 25 inch. Yes, it has to be checked for flights but still very manageable on trains.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
968 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry On

I only take one 21" rollaboard for 3 weeks. Pack one week's worth of clothing, mix and match the colors, and then do a little laundry along the way. You can wash undies and small things in the sink (take a travel sink stopper!) and drop the rest at a local laundry where they will wash, dry and fold your clothes for a reasonable sum...all while you're out enjoying your trip.

Enjoy!

kelowna
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry On

We are planning to rent an apartment for time spent in Rome so will probably have a washer. Three weeks with a 21 inch carry on. Awesome! Do you mind if I ask what bag you are using. I have looked on E-Bags and there are a couple of carry ons that have caught my eye. One is the Athalon 21" and the other is a Motherlode TLS 21" The Mother Lode 21" is starting to get a little on the expensive side for me but I do like it. Is anyone out there that are using these particular bags or can recommend a carry on?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
968 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry On

I'm using a bag bought at the Rick Steve's Europe Through The Back Door store and he has a website

http://www.ricksteves.com/ which sells all this travel gear. I bought it because it was the lightest suitcase I could find at the time...7 lbs. Weight is another thing to take into account...even though your suitcase rolls you will find yourself carrying it more than you think. Very few apartment buidlings have elevators and many times the train stations don't have elevators or escalators....or may only have an escalator going in one direction....so you may need to carry your suitcase up and down stairs.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry On

I believe Rick Steves is having a bag sale this weekend also!