We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A secret to share with you....

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A secret to share with you....

I learned of a lady who does after-hours tours of the Vatican Museum and Sistene Chapel. Before sharing with you all, I selfishly tried to get a place in her line but it's not to be. She currently does not have any tours scheduled when I will be in Rome. I am so disappointed. However, I'm thinking if there's enough interest she may open a tour during that time. So I will give her web site on this forum, hopefully drum up some business for her thereby creating an opportunity for me. See how this works!

It really sounds like an awesome opportunity. Can you imagine visiting the Sistene Chapel in relative solitude? The cost is 175 E pp for a 2 hour guided tour.

http://www.italywithus.biz

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A secret to share with you....

€175.00 euro per person for two hours - are we mad?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A secret to share with you....

Sounds interesting , but you must have a lot more money than most English visitors to Italy if you can afford this much for only 2 hours... Why not just buy a good guide book, and go around at you own pace? Much cheaper!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A secret to share with you....

Actually, I'm the one who is only dreaming of having money. I'm doing this trip on a shoestring budget but this was going to be my one big splurge. The thought of being almost alone with the masterpieces tripped my trigger. The cost is relative depending upon your wants. Consider how many people pay 3 or 4 hundred dollars a night to sleep in a 4 star Rome hotel or $200 for dinner for two. I'm not doing any other guided tours while in Rome but I just can't imagine a guide book will do this site any justice. This is the one place I want to just follow along and absorb what I'm seeing.

Read this gal's post on Slow Travel Talk about her recent experience. This is what hooked me.

slowtalk.com/groupee/…5861077731

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A secret to share with you....

If you want to be alone with a masterpiece or 2 in Rome, there are cheaper ways of doing it. Find the little church of S. Maria del Popolo, in a corner of the big Piazza del Popolo. You will find Raphael's Chigi Chapel inside on the left.Mosaic dome designed by the 'divine' Raphael, tombs of the Chigis designed by Bernini. Stunning. No one there when I visited last year. Carry on up the aisle and you will find two world class masterpieces by the great Caravaggio, Conversion of St Paul and Crucifixion of St Peter. Wonderful, and as I say you may well find you are the only person gazing upon them.

Just off Piazza Navona, there is the French Church in Rome, San Luigi del Francesi. Inside, in St Matthew's Chapel, three paintings by Caravaggio depicting scenes from the Saint's life. Hanging exactly where they were placed when the church commissioned them around 1600. Wonderful. There may be a few people there, though, these are a bit better known than the others!

Valenzano, Italy
Level Contributor
89 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A secret to share with you....

Forgive me, but this looks like blatant advertising to me !!

Thanks Loddington for the other info.............I shall certainly look at these next time I'm in Rome

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A secret to share with you....

Advertising? I explained my intent in the original post. You know, we all have different interests and priorities. We don't all feel the same way about every thing. I would never consider spending $300 to put my head on a pillow nor would I spend $100 for a meal that will be flushed within hours. But this experience was important to me and I thought others may feel the same. Just offering the opportunity to those who are. If you're not, please just ignore the post.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A secret to share with you....

loddington, I will make it a point to visit these sites. Thank you. But still they are not THE masterpieces I desire to see.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A secret to share with you....

I quite understand, there are so many masterpieces of painting and sculpure and architecture in Rome, one is spoilt for choice. I just wanted to draw your attention to the fact that a good many of them can be seen free of charge, and you do not need to spend a great deal of money, e.g. 175 euros, which is more than my return airfare from London to Rome incidentally, just to make you jealous! I'm sure you will find your own favourites, just as visitors to Rome have been doing for centuries.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A secret to share with you....

In planning my trip I was quite suprised how many sites in Rome are free. Almost everything in the way of churches which hold such great works costs little or nothing. I'm spending very little to see such fabulous things. Things that I was taught about as early as the first grade in school (Catholic school girl).

I do have one question though regarding security of the artwork. How is it that these masterpieces simply aren't stolen from the walls they hang or pedestals they sit on? I mean they're right there in a church. What keeps them safe from thieves?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A secret to share with you....

A very good question, and one that has occurred to me too. If you put such masterpieces in churches here in the UK, open to the public, with relatively little or no apparent security it appears, it would not be long before they either disappeared or got defaced by idiots. Perhaps they have a greater respect for such things in Italy. I really don't know, and would be interested to hear others views on this.

Yes, such a lot is free in Rome, it makes London look a very expensive city indeed to visit.