We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
193 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We were grandparents with 2 preteens and loved Rome, though it wasn't our favorite city on the trip. I think the fact that it was our first stop and we were still on jet lag may have contributed to that. Every city in Europe has graffiti so we expected that, though the girls were surprised. We stayed away from all tours and did it on our own. We did take advice in getting our museum pass at the small hidden place at the Roman Forum--no wait at all and then just whizzed past the lines at the colosseum. Since we were way out from everything--at the Novotel we took their free shuttle in to the train station and took off from there. This hotel is only for people who need to park their cars, or have children so you don't want to stay out late. It's beautiful, cheap, with a great breakfast, but the last shuttle leaves around 8:30PM to take you back. What an experience to watch your grandchildren in awe of such great history. We were never bothered by anyone except rude tourists trying to push their way into and out of places. We also took advice and did Forum (I was surprised that both girls chose this as their 2nd favorite place in Rome) first in morning and headed for Vatican in afternoon, hardly any lines. We did the Museum first and headed out the back door to St. Peter's. The older daughter has declared this as one of her favorite places to visit. They convinced us we should hike up the dome and after suffering only minor shock, we made it. They counted the steps for us to let us know how many we had left after each 100-wasn't that sweet?? Then off to Trevi fountain, crowded but they made it to the front to throw in their coin--other granddaughter's favorite place. We just looked in McDonald's to see it--no way we're eating there--then on to the Spanish steps where a wedding pictures were being taken. Boy do the Italians have fun when something special is going on. Only negative was the metro--just because we come from small town USA and the crowds getting on and off were tough. Otherwise, it was easy to find everything. Food was great and the girls began their journey of trying every gelato flavor they could here in Rome.

Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Wow! Great and positive report. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves. I think I can relate to the gelato-eating marathon.....Lord knows, I consumed my fair share of it while I was there!

I've been to Canby. I used to live in Beaverton and we went to Canby to some place out there that had some Indian lodgings, a river and sold some really good dried fruit and chocolate.

Welcome home!

México
Level Contributor
206 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Alibubba

Thanks for your great report, I am also planning a trip in September, been new in this forum I wonder what do you want to say with "small hidden place at the Roman Forum" where you bought your museum pass.

Will you clarify this?

Thanks

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Great trip report! You sound like awesome grandparents. :)

Katie

San francisco
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

I'd like to know too. I am just starting to plan my first trip to Rome, and we definitely want to know about the 'hidden place' at the forum.

Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Palatine Hill is the place alibubba was speaking of. Just down the street from the Colosseum. Your ticket will get you into the Palatine Hill/Colosseum and Roman Forum

Level Contributor
193 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Yes, Palantine Hill was what I was talking about, however it's not the first ticket place you encounter, but back to the left of the first Arch. There is also a ticket booth right there, but you have to go past that and past some steps and it's on your left. People in any booth are great to tell you how to get to it. It was in Rick Steve's book, but I still had to ask because I couldn't spot it.

7. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 14:18