We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Rome for 4 days

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Rome for 4 days

My husband and I and 2 teenage daughters will be visiting Rome for 4 days in july. Can anyone recommend a centrally located hotel that sleeps 4 per room? Is it recommended to get on a day tour of the major tourist attractions so as to avoid the long cues? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Rome for 4 days

Try using venere.com and put 'number of guests' and number of rooms - 1 - in the drop down box. The search should filter relevant hotels for you. I know the Hotel White at the Trevi Fountain has family rooms but they are expensive.

omaha
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Rome for 4 days

You might find a better price and more room by booking an apartment. Make sure they have air conditioning. You should look to book a tour for the Vatican and the Colesseum long line at both.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Rome for 4 days

Check out the suite at Le Clarisse al Pantheon http://www.leclarissehotel.com/en

I can't personally vouch for it yet (we're also going in July) but the reviews are very good, location is central and the room is quite large.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,872 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Rome for 4 days

As noted, forget the hotel get an apartment. You'll save a ton. We like the Piazza Navona or Campo Fiori areas.

Have fun.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Rome for 4 days

Don't worry about booking a tour as such of the Vatican Museums if you don't want to - just book your tickets online - this enables you to skip the long queue. They offer specific entry times and you do have to stick to your allocated time - you can't just turn up whenever you want. St. Peter's is free but there is security checks, so there can be long lines which are unavoidable.

Depending on how many sights you want to visit, a Romapass may be worthwhile. Check details about this in the Top Ten questions section.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Rome for 4 days

There is no need for a tour to avoid queues.

If you want to visit the Galleria Borghese, you must book in advance as numbers are strictly limited: galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm

To avoid queues at the Vatican Museums, it is a good idea to book in advance: mv.vatican.va

If there is a queue for tickets at the Colosseum, go to one of the entries to the Forum and buy the tickets there.

patra greece
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Rome for 4 days

If you want a hotel that sleeps 4 per room try Mascagni Hotel it is in Piazza Repubblica 5 min walk from metro station near Termini .It is very good hotel .Try ask for details by mail. Ive seen quartraple room there and they are comfortable.But I think that if you have 2 teenaged girls with you you must try to ask for 2 rooms(think that you ll be 3 women sharing one bathroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Rome for 4 days

There are many hotels with family rooms or quad rooms in all parts of the city, and in most price ranges. Another booking site I like is www.booking.com , which allows you to choose "Central Rome" as a neighborhood, so that you don't have to do multiple searches in different neighborhoods.

I wish the people who tell others to forget staying in a hotel would mention some of the difficulties associated with renting an apartment. It's not something I would recommend to people who are not *very* independent travelers. You need to do a much more time-consuming search for reviews to make sure you don't get burned. You usually need to carry a large amount of cash to pay on the spot *before* your stay. You need to advise the keyholder or agent by phone as soon as you arrive in Rome so that you can be met. Apart from that, even a very cheap hotel offers all manner of useful services to guests that won't be available to you if you stay in an apartment.

California
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Rome for 4 days

We're headed to Rome with two teenage girls in mid-June, just finalized rental of an apartment near the Spanish Steps/Trevi Fountain. It's much more cost effective and convenient to get an apartment for 4 people (IMO). I used this site and had a good experience: http://www.rome-accommodation.net/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Rome for 4 days

bvlenci...well said.