We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
63 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

Hi, I will be using the highways in Italy. A1 from Rome down to Sorrento and the main hwy. from Rome up to the hill country. Do these major toll ways take credit cards, or must I have cash?

Thanks for the help.

Marilyn

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,627 reviews
from US$74.16*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,009 reviews
from US$60.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from US$401.17*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,434 reviews
from US$146.61*
US$162.90
United States
Level Contributor
9,689 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

Most of the toll booths I've gone through have at least one lane for credit cards (Visa/Mastercard). You will need to look for the sign above the lane. Check out the possible tolls beforehand on viamichelin.com. Some tolls are only a few euros and not worth using a CC.

I can't get to my link for the signs right now but you can Google Image *Italian toll booths* to see examples of the different lane signs.

TAB

California
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

Hello. We just got back from driving in Italy and only used the lanes that accept cash. At least a couple of times in Europe (I'm not sure now if it was in Italy), we have been in a credit card lane that only accepts European credit cards, not U.S. credit cards. It was a really unpleasant experience for us, so we have decided not to risk using credit cards in Europe on tollways from now on. Perhaps some Italy expert can tell you if they will take U.S. credit cards on your route. Good luck.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

I live in Italy, but we (my husband and I) only use cash on the autostrada, so I really don't know. Even if we used a credit card, it would probably be an Italian one.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

Most toll gates have reserved blue lanes for credit card payment (sometimes marked 'viacard' ). All cards taken, no worries. Note however that those blue lanes are not manned, you insert the ticket first, then the card into an ATM-type slot and pay without signing or pressing a PIN. On most autostradas, manned lanes accept cash only.

United States
Level Contributor
9,689 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

I went through 2 toll lanes today and noted the cards accepted, all the usual suspects including Diner's Club and Discover. I even used my US issued debit card at a booth earlier in this trip.

TAB

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
63 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

Thanks TAB, appreciate it.

Marilyn

Umbria, Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

I have used a visa prepaid card for the toll roads in Italy, no problem. Just put in the machine, no pin required. I just keep the card in my car for this purpose only, it saves queing and scrabbling about for change.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

Duchess: This thread died last April. Why have you dug it up 10 months later?

Umbria, Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

Because I was asked to!, by friends travelling to Italy. And rather than reply to them all I decided to update the post.

10. Re: Do toll roads in Italy, like A1 take Visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 05:16