We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Rome to Greve

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Camden, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Rome to Greve

Hi,

My husband and I were planning on renting a car from Rome and driving to Greve via Siena.

As we are Australian and drive on the 'right' side of the road i was wondering have any others done this route and is it just crazy to get out of Rome? are we best to train to Florence and drive from Florence down to Greve?

We were either renting a car from Termini Station or Avis Via Sardegna 38A.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Rome to Greve

Outside the major cities, driving in Italy is not difficult. I found that the first few hours of driving on the "wrong" side of the road were terrifying, and that concentration was needed for the next few days.

Here are some notes on driving in Italy: www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyDrive.htm

Camden, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Rome to Greve

oh no we only have the car for 1 day i want to be used to driving within the hour... I am a little worried now about driving out of Rome

I had no idea about the IDP so thank you..

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Rome to Greve

Thanks Nick. You are a wealth of information. I enjoyed reading your various reports on driving in Italy, something I will be doing in September / October this year.

Cheers.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 11:30
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Rome to Greve

Glad to know the information is helpful.

A one-day rental will cost almost as much as a 3-day rental.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Rome to Greve

I've driven this route a number ot times without incident. We,usually drive from the Rome airport(FCO) which is autostrada(highway) for most of the way and especially around Rome. I have,also driven from the train station. The city street driving only last for a short period and you are on the city ring road quickly which connects to the Autostrada.

An alternative would be to take the train to Orvieto and rent a car from there(rental car closes Saturday afternoon and Sunday in Orvieto). Orvieto is a lovely city to visit before continuing onto Greve. It is located along the Autostrada and would be less daunting for getting acclamated to road driving.

After visiting Orvieto then continue on the Autostrada then redirect towards Siena. From here you want to get on the Wine Road #222 to Greve. This is a lovely drive. Have a look at Google maps to visulize.

Hopefully, if you are staying in Greve then you will continue to have a rental car since the area is wonderful for exploring the many hilltowns and wineries. There is plenty of free parking in Greve.

Have fun with your holiday planning.

I loved SydneyNick's Driving link!

6. Re: Driving from Rome to Greve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 06:15