We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why nobody posts this info?

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Why nobody posts this info?

While we were in Rome last June, we tried to get into the Vatican Museums without a reservation. It was late afternoon (after 3 p.m.) but the line was several hours long. We almost got back to the metro station but then my wife found a discreet sign at one of the restaurants by the Walls advertising tickets to the museums. We got them for a little more (some 30%) and we were able not only to skip the line, but even to bypass the line for the people who had pre-reservation. I am not sure if the place was the Trattoria Da Paolo or another place on Vialle Vaticano, but I am at loss why nobody in this forum ever mention this reasonable option.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why nobody posts this info?

Probably because there's an easier and cheaper way to skip the ticket line: buying the tickets online.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

It costs 4 euros extra on top of the ticket price of 16 euros.

What kind of tickets were these? Did they have a reserved time? If not, obviously someone goes to the ticket desk, buys tickets, and, instead of entering the museum, takes them away to resell.

California
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why nobody posts this info?

Agreed, you most likely purchased scalped tickets especially considering the 30% upsell.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why nobody posts this info?

The problem is that one sometimes does not want to over plan everything, and that was my case. I needed some flexibility for my trip, even though I knew I would be facing the line (which, I thought was going to be shorter in the afternoon). In any case, the total ticket cost was not that much bigger than the pre-reservation system. The elderly lady who sold me the tickets gave me the papers and called somebody(on her cell phone) inside the museums to exchange the tickets, which they did. I am sure this was official as the only thing that I had to show the guard was the receipt from the trattoria which he saw and told us to skip the pre-reservation line. The ticket also included entries to the cloisters of the three other major basilicas. We did not use them as we had (unfortunately) already visited them.

I thought this would be a very important information for somebody who is caught by the lines.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why nobody posts this info?

I have to say that the total cost of the ticket was 25 euros. Not a rip-off if you consider that the Vatican website charges 20 and you need to show up at a specific time. As I said, this was not a scalp as we exchanged the receipt for the tickets inside the museum, not on a dark alley...

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why nobody posts this info?

I think that buying the tickets the way you did was perfect. Good job and thanks for posting this option. It's an extra couple of euros, but you can remain completely flexible--go on the day and when you want. Your mood, energy, the weather and your other desired activities can dictate when you feel like seeing the Vatican this way.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why nobody posts this info?

I just wish that somebody would be more specific to confirm that it was at Da Paolo. I regret that I did not take the name of the place down for future reference...

Canada
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why nobody posts this info?

I have the Rick Steves Rome book from the library. The base price for tix in the book is old as it's 15euro. He says you can often get same day skip the line tickets from the TI in St Peter's Square for the same price (15+4euro reservation fee). He says if the TI doesn't have any check a tour company Roma Christina, with a kiosk in St Peter's square, where there is a higher 11 euro booking fee. The website now is http://operaromanapellegrinaggi.biz/ , it was .org in the book

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why nobody posts this info?

Thanks! That is where my receipt came from. The only difference is that I did not have to get in line and go through St. Peter's security in order to get the tickets...

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why nobody posts this info?

According to the website, my tickets were not only legal, but sponsored by the Vatican. In Italian, the text reads:

"L’Opera Romana Pellegrinaggi è un’attività del Vicariato di Roma, organo della Santa Sede, alle dirette dipendenze del Cardinale Vicario del Papa.

That explains why I was able to skip the skip the lines line!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why nobody posts this info?

no one is questioning the legitimacy of your tickets, but you are paying a scalper for what you perceive as a convenience (and which others have explained you could have done through regular channels). I'm glad you are pleased with yourself, but where I come from, we don't care for scalpers, and many of us don't like doing business with them.