We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance

Hi everyone,

I am trying to purchase train tickets for our vacation this summer. We will be taking the train from Rome to Florence on August 3, and Florence to Venice on August 7.

I thought tickets were available to purchase 120 days in advance, but the earliest I can find tickets on sale right now is June 8. Does anyone know why this is, and when I could expect tickets for my dates to go on sale?

I know I don't have to purchase them in advance, but I'm hoping to get the cheap fares as we well have five people traveling.

Also can someone confirm what train stations I should be using? I think it's Termini Roma for Rome, S.M. Novella for Florence, and Santa Lucia for Venice, but can someone confirm that?

Thanks so much,

Lisl

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance

A new schedule is coming out on June 9th, and Trenitalia never manages to finalize it 120 days before it goes into effect. Keep trying, because as soon as it comes out, the best bargains will be snapped up quickly. Of course, the types of discounts and their rules may change with the new schedule.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance

1. Both Trenitalia and competitor ITALO TRENO have not yet uploaded train scheduled BEYOND June 8.

2. The schedules WILL be updated at some time between today and June 8 (and likely before the middle of May).

3. You must keep checking periodically.

4. Once the summer schedules have been uploaded, tickets for Trenitalia trains should be purchaseable up to 4 months in advance (not necessarily the case for ITALO TRENO).

Trenitalia operates out of both Roma TERMINI and Roma TIBURTINA. ITALO TRENO operates out of Roma TIBURTINA, but not Roma TERMINI. For this reason, many travellers find that ITALO TRENO is somewhat less convenient than Trenitalia if travelling to or from Rome.

In Florence and Venice, both Trenitalia and ITALO TRENO operate out of Firenze SMN and Venezia S. Lucia stations (so this is a non-issue).

Edited: 03 April 2013, 23:41
maryland
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance

Thank you so much! That was exactly the help I needed :)

Lisl

Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance

I'm wondering how we would pay for Trenitalia Tickets from North America? Do they accept U.S. or Canadian credit cards?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,989 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance

Trenitalia accepts cards from any country. Occasionally some people have a problem, but there does not seem to be any systemic issue. Ensure that your bank's fraud department knows that you will be buying train tickets from Italy.

Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance

Does Trenitalia send E Tickets if I book online? Thanks for your help.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance

They send you an email that has your PNR (reservation code) and that's all you need. There seems to be a problem sending to email addresses that end in .net, and occasionally other people say they haven't got the email. For that reason, print out the reservation confirmation that appears on your computer screen, and which also has the PNR. If the email doesn't arrive, this computer screen image will be sufficient. If you don't have access to a printer, take a screen shot. Don't close that window until you're sure you have something printable with the PNR on it.

8. Re: Purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 06:15