We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

My husband and I along with our kids ages 13 and 8 are flying in to Rome at noon on Thursday May 30th flying back at 7:00 am on Wed June 5th. This gives us half a day on Thursday May 30th when we get there and 5 full days before flying out at 7:00 am on Wed June 5th. We definitley want to see Rome and Venice add Florence if we have time! Looking for itenirary recommendations for the 5 and a half days. Would train be the best way to go from Rome to Veince? Can we add Florence and able to see all 3 places or is that too much?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

It might be slightly different if you were flying out of Venice, but really you couldn't do much more than glimpse these places. Your first "half-day" (Thursday) is going to be reduced by the time needed to receive your bags and get to your hotel, and you (and kids) may well be jet-lagged. Then, let's say you spend Friday in Rome and go to Venice on Saturday (3h40 by the fastest trains), staying overnight and returning on Sunday/Monday. As Museums are generally closed on Mondays, you would presumably be going to Florence on Tuesday, which is 1 1/2 hrs from Rome by train, permitting a day trip, I imagine, however, that you would want to be back in Rome early given the time of your flight on Wednesday - in fact I would want to be near the airport for a flight as early as this. It's up to you of course, but what sort of a vacation could this be?!

I would advise you to concentrate on Rome on this occasion, with a possible side-trip to Florence, and leaving Venice for another trip.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

Spend all 6 nights in Rome, and take a day trip to Florence. Here are some sample itinerary ideas:

Arrival Day 1: Get acclimated to the area around your hotel. Explore. Get outside and get fresh air (helps combat jet lag).

Day 2: Historic Center (Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, etc.) Spanish Steps, Camp de fiori, Vittoro Emmanuel Moment, etc. Do a little research here and you can find a good walking route that will allow you to see all these in 1 day. The historic center of Rome is walkable and small :-)

Day 3: Ancient Rome Day (Colosseum, Roman Forum, Capitoline Museum). Consider dining in Trastevere in the evening.

Day 4: Day Trip to Florence (below I have linked to an idea of an itinerary for 1 day in Florence)

Day 5: Vatican Museums & Basilica, etc. in the morning. Late afternoon you can visit the Borghese

Day 6: A number of options. Visit the Appian Way, Go to Ostia Antica for a half day trip, Go to Tivoli for a half day trip, Visit a number of other big museums you may have missed, save time for shopping, etc.

Basing yourselves in less than 1 week in 1 city will be best. Just take a day trip to Florence and do Venice next time.

Here's a link to a sample itinerary for 1 day in Florence that I posted in another thread.

tripadvisor.com/…47603751

Edited: 07 April 2013, 19:19
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

It can be done but you really don't have enough time to do it,. I would spend the entire time in Rome and not bother going anywhere else. As it is, 5.5 days is not enough time to visit the sites in Rome let alone go anywhere else, Save Venice and Florence for the next trip.

Donna

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

Day trip Rome to Florence by train www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html www.italotreno.com

www.visitfloremce.com

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

Anything can be done, but the question is, "Do you really want to do it?" It's not the Amazing Race. You would be travelling and not seeing things most of the time. Slow down and taste the wine.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

Oh boy, wish you could add another 3-4-5 days to this holiday and then you could cover all Big Three. With your time and with your young child and a teenager... well, I think you could do two o.k. Just pick the two you think you must visit this time around and write off the third for the next trip.

Someone asked you this already, I think, but could you possibly change your arrival or departure city to be Venice? Like, into Venice and out of Rome, say?

If not, and if you still pick Venice over Florence, then I would probably train to Venice immediately upon arrival in Rome; spend two nights there and head back to Rome on the afternoon of June 1st, spending the rest of the time in Rome. If you pick Florence, you could do two nights there and the rest in Rome.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Sounds like the consensus is its too much to do all 3....I will change up the plan. We are flying in and out of Rome and can not change it:-(

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,528 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

Don't worry--you and your kids will love Rome. Follow the schedule in post 2.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,157 posts
5,408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

Have to agree to leave Venice out of this 5 day trip completely. However, if you feel you won't be able to live with yourself for not seeing Florence, than consider the day trip suggestion. The train ride is short and frequent between Rome and Florence so you can make a full day of Florence and then return to Rome in time for dinner or even.

However, if you don't really mind that much, I'd just follow dbabe's guidance and stick to Rome. There is plenty to keep you very busy over 5 days with no need to take train rides to other cities.

Either way, have a great trip to Italy.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome- Florence-Venice in 5 and half days can it be done?

Hi fellow travelers, Just 1 week till we leave for our trip to Rome/Florence!!! Should I go ahead and buy the tickets to the Coliseum online before leaving to avoid lines or is it reasonable to buy the tickets/tour when we get there? Please advise?