We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Rome

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Rome

Hello

we are traveling to Rome in July 2013 for 3-4 days. We are two young ladies (27&32). I have read many reviews and forums about where to stay in Rome but still can't make my mind up.

We are looking for easy access to transportation to get around. We like to do some sightseeing (major sights) and also like to go out at nights. We love to hang out in bars preferable outside for people watching, a lively area and some good Italian food. We definitely want to do some shopping as well. We are two Europeans, living in Hong Kong and have traveled a lot.

Any suggestions regarding locations would be appreciated. Also very happy to hear about restaurants, bars, clubs, hotels.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Alnax Limousines Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Pal.Mar
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
CB Tour Roma
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Private Tours
Rome Airport Transportation
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Rome

If it is within budget and you can find rooms I would stay in the old city (Centro Storico). Everything is within reasonable walking distance and there is plenty of variety when it comes to bars and restaurants. Walking, rather than being forced to catch buses or the metro also exposes you to little gems around ever corner - the sort of things you miss as you whizz by on public transport. My own favourite for what it is worth is Hotel Campo de Fiori, review below:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d2…

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,327 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Rome

These 2 sites allow you to look for accommodations by price, location and amenities. The Italian star system is different, i.e. a star for having an elevator and does not represent quality - read the reviews.

www.venere.com and www.booking.com

The map in your guidebook will show Rome is quite compact and quite walkable, with the exception of the distance between St. Peter's Basilica and the Colosseum (40 mins +/-). I've seldom used public transportation during my numerous trips to Rome.

The most popular locations are also the most expensive. i.e. the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona and Campo de Fiori. The Termini area is less expensive. Whatever you decide, make sure the air conditioning is in good working order!

By typing clubs or bars in the search bar above the posts, you'll get quite a selection.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 10:57
Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,160 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Rome

Stay near the Spanish Steps, it is centrally located to all sighhts, safe and there are plenty of great restaurants and bars nearby. Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Vatican, Campo Di fiori Market, Pizza di Popilo, Via Condotti Shopping, Via Dl Corso Shopping are all within walking distace.

I would rent an apartment and immerse yourselves into the Italian culture.

We stayed here last year (http://www.vrbo.com/195776) I would highly recommend it. It is clean, safe, economical, convenient and Daniella the owner was a great resource.

Ciao!

Mentioned in this post
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,349 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,160 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
234 Reviews
Rome, Italy
j m
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Rome

Going to Rome for 5 nights in March 2014 trying to decide which hotel to book. We are 2 adult females, 60ish and 26 yrs old. Want to stay near pantheon/sites. On my list so far: Albergo Del Senato, Hotel Pantheon, Hotel Nazionale and Albergo Cesari. Does anyone have a preference of one over the other and are there any I should cross off or add to the list. I've read lots of reviews with good & bad about all. would like and elevator and a quieter room with 2 beds a must. Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Rome

If you really want to immerse yourself into the Italian culture I would recommend you stay in an apartment.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,686 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Rome

Try this B&B just off the Pantheon.

http://www.relaisalsenato.it/home_en.htm

You get to be very central and very safe (always caribineri outside as the Senate is just across the road) there is an elevator, you get to meet other guests at breakfast and to have the host advise you but it is smaller and friendlier than an hotel.

Note that quite often for B&Bs in Italy, they are more like a small hotel or private rooms and the host does not necessarily live on-site.

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,160 Reviews
Rome, Italy
j m
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Rome

Thanks for your recommendation and quick response. I'll check it out..

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Rome

HI Puffered, Trastevere is the place for the two of you. It is central (make sure that you get a place that is near the center), has great nightlife, bars, dancing, music, people watching, cafes and lots of people your age on the streets at night. The next best place for you two would be the Campo dei Fiori or the Navona area. They are very close to the Trastevere and are central and lively areas at night too. With all due respect to Bringyourweather, the Spanish Steps area is a little weatherbeaten at night. It used to have a lot of locals hanging out on the steps and drinking at night, but that supposedly was banished. I don't think it is your scene, but certainly worth a shopping trip during the day hours. Have a great vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,349 Reviews
Rome, Italy
san francisco
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Rome

HI jm, Please consider the Daphne Inn at Piazza Barbarbini. I have stayed there at least 10 times and it has wonderful services for new visitors to Rome. The beds are very comfortable. The Inn is at the Piazza Barbarini which is quiet, but central to transportation and walking, which is what I love to do. The owners, one Italian, one American are very hands on and are wonderful with directions and reservations. The breakfast is excellent and you will get a complimentary cell phone should you get lost or need to contact someone at the Inn. I would not recommend that you rent an apartment on the first trip to Rome. I do rent an apartment now, but I am very familiar with Rome. Of the hotels you mentioned I think they all sound good. I especially like the Pantheon area. The quality of the light and the sound echoing off the ancient buildings in the area around the Pantheon is like none other I have ever experienced. Have a great vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,160 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
221 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Rome

Hi j m... I've stayed at both the Hotel Pantheon and the Albergo Cesari. Great location, reasonable rates and good breakfast at both. Twin bed rooms are available at both but easier to get at the Cesari. (We had booked a twin room at the Pantheon and were given a king because it was the only room available even though we booked months in advance. And no... it wasn't a king that could be split into twins)

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,160 Reviews
Rome, Italy