We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australians travelling in Italy in November

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Australians travelling in Italy in November

We are a group of 3 Australians thinking of travelling in Italy during November, is there anyone who can tell me whether they have travelled at this time and found it comfortable enough with regards to weather conditons.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,798 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australians travelling in Italy in November

We always travel to europe during October and November, it can be cool so pack a warm top coat.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australians travelling in Italy in November

It will probably be cooler than what you are used to in Brisbane and probably similar to a Melbourne winter instead. However you should enjoy the benefit of fewer tourists and Christmas markets in some cities.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 04:41
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australians travelling in Italy in November

For a sight of what the last few Novembers (mid-month mostly!) have been like in Rome, you might try...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/rome_visits

Peter

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australians travelling in Italy in November

just remember the more south you go the warmer it is, so rather than milan and turin, try naples, palermo and catania.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Australians travelling in Italy in November

I have traveled extensively in Italy during many different times of year and in my experience of recent years, it can be intensely rainy between Oct 20 and November 20. Last year in Venice, the weather and high water was particularly bad during those weeks. I have also experienced lovely weather days in that period, all oer Italy, and I have seen plenty of rain in the spring or awful heat in the summer -- and bad snow in winter.

So obviously one cannot predict, but I try to avoid traveling in the rainiest period of autumn unless I know I want my vacation to mainly be about doing indoor activities. It can be fantastic to go to Florence, Turin or Bologna in November, and I have enjoyed Naples in November as well.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australians travelling in Italy in November

Yes, there may be rain. But we'll take the lack of crowds and lack of heat over a little rain any day! We have a second home in Rome and go several times a year, and we greatly prefer winter. Airfare is generally cheaper (as are accommodations), we don't need reservations for restaurants as much, and the museums and sites are not nearly as packed. Smaller museums or sites you may even find you have the place all to yourself. I'll even get up early on a Sunday and find I am the only one at the Trevi Fountain or the Spanish Steps.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 14:38
7. Re: Australians travelling in Italy in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 06:18