We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
biloxi
Level Contributor
116 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

Bringing the family to Rome and I want to buy some paintings of Rome. Do you have any recommendations ? Is piazza Navonna a good place to buy art ?

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
426 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

A hitch with the artwork in that piazza, and perhaps others like it, is that some of the artwork is sourced from Asia. If you don’t care about the source, then that won’t matter. Ironically, the artist that most impressed us was a lady who used spray cans. Yup, spray cans. It’s a bit hard to describe; I do have a series of pictures that could be posted somewhere. When we were there [last month], she camped out in a busy alley east of Piazza Navona, and worked under the lights of the McDonalds. She had a large crowd as she drew [sprayed] her artwork. She was incredible. She made an original artwork in about 15 minutes, and people happily paid 10 euros for it. It doesn’t look like much when she starts out, but, when its completed it looks pretty good. Each artwork she made was different than the previous. My spouse is an artist with two masters degrees in the visual arts, and this woman was who impressed us most.

For those of you who have seen this lady with her spray paint masterpieces, perhaps you can describe her better. Actually…if you look for ‘Technically perfect spray paint Rome Italy’ on youtube, some people have posted videos of her. The artwork looks more impressive live than it does in the video. And, I believe there’s some intrinsic value to see the artwork done right in front of you.

philly burbs
Level Contributor
264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

Use your best judgement--not all paintings are from Asia. Unfortunately, on or recent trip, it was raining heavily so the artists were all packed up when we went to Piazza Navona. 5 years ago, we purchased a breathtakingly beautiful, very large painting of Capri from a native of Rome while we were in Piazza Navona. It was around 120 E and everyone who sees this painting remarks how lovely it is.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

The art in Piazza Navona (and the top of the Spanish Steps) is beautiful - as a souvenir - not as an investment :)

philly burbs
Level Contributor
264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

The painting we purchased was of extremly high quality and beauty. It was authentic and purchased for it's beauty, not it's re-sale value. It was not "souvenir"quality.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

We were there last December, and on our last morning in Rome and on a whim, I walked to Piazza Navonna and found a vendor selling oil paintings for an artist. I saw an 8 x 10 (or around that size), framed painting of Campo de Fiori which was where we were staying. It cost 40 euros and came with the artist's business card. I've enjoyed looking at it on our wall, and it reminds us our trip. It doesn't look like something from Asia with some touch up paint.

California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

IT-Expert . . . Thank you for your post! I looked at the video on YouTube and find myself in awe! I just hope I can find her when I'm there next month because I too would also happily pay 10 euros!

Thanks Again!

Jennifer :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

It doesn't matter where you buy art. If you like it, want it, and can afford it, buy it.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
157 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

Yes most of the artwork is made somewhere away from Italy (Asia, Romania, who knows?) and you can tell because it's the same, and in every corner of the city not just piazza Navona! Personally, I'd like to have something original on my walls and not a print you can find on the internet! It's personal taste of course! It should be something that impresses you and reminds you of your trip!

Rome is beautiful!! I bought a small watercolor painting from an artist in Navona who was finishing it the 15 minutes I was there and it was very exciting! We had coffee across the piazza waiting for it to be dry!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

You will do better if you can see the artist painting similar pictures. The big canvases are often mass produced. We bought a picture once and a friend pointed out the dots that indicated it was a screen print. But if you like it and it is not too expensive, why not?

Nothing you buy in P Navona will be an investment piece. Be content to enjoy it for what it is.

Actually I prefer to buy very good photos, the sort I would like to be able to take. I have some gorgeous ones on my wall from Tuscany

duccionacci.it/catalogo/eng_colore_catalogo.…

His shop is in San Gimignano, near the church.

troy,oh
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we buy art in Piazza Navona?

Oh..I will never forget the painting I purchased in Navona! Took me forever to decide and the artist so carefully packed it up in a long tube that I thought would fit in my suitcase. It didn't so I had to carry it for the remainder of my trip. I was so happy I had managed to drag it every stop we made. At Venice airport on our way home, I put it through security and it never came out. I did not notice until we were on the plane and I suddenly wondered where my painting was. I was bummed! Lucky for me, the trip insurance I had bought reimbursed me. I have been back to Navona since and it tugs at my heart to buy another. Maybe this fall I will try again. Deffinitley will have to be packed in the suitcase..too pricey to ship.