We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what should i do in the first night

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
11 posts
Save Topic
what should i do in the first night

i stay in HOTEL MERIDIANA ROMA VIA CALATAFIMI N° 38 , ( what should i do as i will arrive to Rome from Paris at 17:30 )

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,916 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what should i do in the first night

For all the options on getting from FCO airport into Rome, see the Top Question "To and from FCO airport" at top right of this page.

Cairo, Egypt
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what should i do in the first night

Thanks sydneynick, but i know how to go from the Hotel , i was ask what i can do after i arrive hotel at 18:30

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,916 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what should i do in the first night

Go out and have a meal? Tourist sights will not be open that late.

Obviously you can have the pleasure of walking around the streets of Rome.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,271 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what should i do in the first night

After settling in at the hotel head down towards the Trevi Fountain. This is where you will find all the crowds and people wandering around eating gelato and looking at the fountain and the Spanish Steps which is close by also. You could wander down to the Pantheon and onto Piazza Navona ... all these places will be busy with people wandering around before dinner around 19:00. Many shops will still be open and you could do Limoncello tasting at the wine shops.

BigTX
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what should i do in the first night

I'm so glad you asked this as we are wondering same!! Looking forward to all the answers.

Thank you!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what should i do in the first night

If you are checking into the hotel at 18:30 (6:30)...by the time you put your bags in the room, relax a moment, and wash your face it will be 7:00-7:30. I'd go for a walk around your neighborhood and start checking out restaurants for dinner...and if I found one I liked I would make a reservation (if needed). I don't think your close enough to the sites mentioned by able58 to enjoy...unless your into power walking. Relax, and plan for the next day...

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what should i do in the first night

Hello rany,

There may be a concert or two that you could get to. Maybe chamber music in a church, or an opera presentation. You didn't list the date of your arrival so we can't be more specific than that.

Don't wander around your hotel area at night. Get yourself directly to the main tourist part of town where you will have lots of company on the streets.

Spirit

Boston
Level Contributor
424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what should i do in the first night

Able58. Thanks for that suggested walk. It what my daughter and I will do our first night. We arrive 14:00 FCC and figure 2 hours to hotel. You suggestion is perfect. One quick question. What time do most Romans eat dinner? Hate to be too early in a restaurant. Thanks

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what should i do in the first night

Romans eat not until 7:30 pm or later. Often restaurants only take one set of customers per table per night, so you may take all the time in the world to converse and eat, and enjoy coffee later. You will have to ask for the check (il conto) when you are ready to pay it, as bringing the check to you without you asking for it is never done.

You can look at the restaurant menus posted outside. It may not be crowded at 7:30, since most Italians come later.

You may want to take a bus or metro to some of the sights from where you are staying. The main bus terminal is directly in front of the Termini. There are different lanes for different numbered buses. When you buy your bus ticket at the centrally-located bus ticket kiosk, have them point the direction toward the # bus you want (for instance, the fast bus to the Vatican is #40, the slow bus to the Vatican is the #64.

The Metro is underneath the Termini Rail Station, in the basement. There, you can take the Metro two stops to the Colisseum. Here is a good link to info about getting around into and in Rome:

http://www.rome.info/transportation/

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,271 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what should i do in the first night

The Italians eat from around 7:30 as stated above but if you are hungry they won't stop you from sitting down and eating. The Spanish Steps area and the Trevi are beautiful at night with floodlights, fountains especially with the light reflections. I find the evenings the time when you are not rushing to get to the next "must see" tourist spot and you can just relax and roam around. Get a gelato and just float along with the crowd stopping to look at the small stalls selling scarves etc in the streets. Rome is much more beautiful at night ... in fact the colloseum at night it particularly lovely to wander around even though it's closed.