We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

I'll be staying in an apartment at Vicolo di Montevecchio N.3 in Rome later next month and I'm trying to figure out how can I get there from FCO.

Since I'm on a budget, I'm trying to avoid going the taxi route, therefore, I prefer to take the train (FR1 if possible as opposed to the Leonardo Express) and/or a bus once in the City Centre.

We'll (2 of us) will be arriving at about at about 3:30 in the afternoon (15:30) on a Tuesday Afternoon.

All recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

Either walk to Largo Argentina (Via di Torre Argentina, where it intersects with Via Florida), about a half mile, or walk a couple of short blocks to Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and take a bus to Largo Argentina. This is the head (capolinea) of the #8 tram line.

At the moment the start of the line has been pushed back a stop (perhaps construction?) so you may need to walk a couple of more blocks up Via Arenula to the start of the line. Take the tram to the Stazione Trastevere stop (see tram map here: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=8RT&idmtram=54123&xmax=2310966&ymax=4641425&xmin=2307136&ymin=4638097&tipologia=URB&linea=8&circo=NO). This is on the FR1 line to the airport.

NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

My apologies for my confusion, but are these directions from the apartment to the airport or vice versa? Since I'm not familiar with the city, I'm a bit perplexed by the directions that you posted. I only need to go from the airport to the the apartment since I'll be leaving by train a couple of days later and NOT going back to FCO.

Thanks

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

You can take the regional train from Fiumicino to Termini... then you can use ATAC's route planner to decide what bus to take to get to your apartment (which appears to be near Piazza Navona). You'll find it here:

http://infopoint.atac.roma.it/?LINGUA=eng

To elstravels: yes, the #8 tram's terminus is being moved from largo di Torre Argentina to Piazza Venezia (right in front of the fountain with a pinecone on it), passing through via delle Botteghe Oscure.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 15:39
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

Can you use GoogleMaps?

If so, catch one of the SIT airport shuttle buses described in this...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187791-c144716/Rome:…

... and get off at the stop near Piazza Cavour, on the far side of the river - not far from Castel Sant'Angelo.... and walk the rest!

Tickets about €5 if bought online

Peter

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

Wow - it's not often that the least expensive method is also the easiest. The bus that Peter (above) references is both.

The walk from Piazza Cavour to your apartment is about a half mile. You could take the #30 bus for one stop to make the walk shorter, if you want. The nice part of taking the #30 bus for that short span is avoiding having to deal with the traffic getting across the bridge.

NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm more than likely going to go the SIT route and then take the #30 bus. I'll have two big bags of luggage while my girlfriend will be carrying one so the half a mile walk might not best of ideas for us. I guess we'll assess it when we get there.

I'm going to plot out the walking route from Piazza Cavour to my apartment and keep it on my phone.

Thanks again everybody. :-)

NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

One question about the SIT bus though. If I buy my tickets in advance and I miss my time slot for the bus that I "think" that I will make, will I be assessed an additional charge?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

I gather not!

As I recollect, their old website once had an FAQ page where such stuff was explained, but not now - however the chap answering their phone says to just take the next one...

http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/contacts/

But have you thought how you'll obtain tickets for the #30 bus? That's why I thought walking that short distance might be better!

Try tracing it out in Googlemaps - by asking for

ponte umberto roma

Peter

Edited: 26 April 2013, 16:13
NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

@A_Brit_In_Ischia thanks for the heads up in regards to being able to catch the next one if you miss your scheduled ride.

Do the regular buses take cash? I'll have some euros on me.

I already plotted both the walk and the bus ride (#30) from Piazza Cavour and it seems to only be a 10 minute walk. If my girlfriend can manage her bag while I deal with the two bigger bags, then we'll probably just go that route. If not, we'll do the Bus #30 thing.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 21:04
NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get to my Rome Apt from FCO?

So I just purchased the on-line ticket for the SIT Bus from FCO to Via Crescenzio. Do you guys know if they will be able to scan the ticket from my phone or do I need to actually carry a hard copy of the ticket.

Would be so much easy if they could just scan it off my phone (i.e. MegaBus here in the States)