We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

NJ
Level Contributor
128 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

In another thread I noticed that TABarrett linked to a site - http://www.cgsse.it - indicating that Trenitalia will be the subject of a strike, from 9PM on the first day to 9PM on the second day on May 25/26 and June 1/2.

Unfortunately, I have already booked travel on Trenitalia from Florence to Rome on June 2 at Noon on the Frecciarossa.

Apparently Italotreno is unaffected by the strike and has seats available. Should I book there now, or will the major trains on Trenitalia continue to run depsipte the strike?

Also, if I forego the trip on Trenitalia, can I get a refund on my tickets if the train is cancelled due to the strike?

I appreciate any advice you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Minneapolis...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

I will be traveling around Italy at the same time and have been trying to keep tabs on this strike. What I had read on this site, slowtrav.com/blog/italy_transport_strikes/ , it sounded like the June 1/2 strike was replacing the May 25/26 strike. I am still not what sure is going on, on the Trenitalia site there is some good info. Here (http://www.italiarail.com/strike-information) you can see that they will issue refunds (but this strike is not listed yet, so maybe if it changes again they would not refund your tickets?) Somewhere else on the trenitalia site I read something that said all of the major routes will still run Mon-Sat and they post a PDF wiht the schedule the week of or something like that, so keep digging or you could try to email them (I am sorry, I cannot find where I saw that)

Folsom, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
96 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

Does anyone know if this affects the regional trains on Sun June 2. I am supposed to travel from Tirano to Varenna.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

Here is the transportation ministry's strike page, which is the most up to date for transportation strikes. They show a strike on the 1st/2nd June, mainly affecting the 2nd, but they don't show anything for May 25/26, so it's probably true that the June 1/2 strike replaces the other. Strikes often get called off or postponed, so this one is not definite.

There are some trains guaranteed to operate during a strike, but Trenitalia's web page returns an error when I click on the link for national trains. On another page that offers more information about strikes, clicking returns me to the same page. I must say that Trenitalia's new web sites are a disaster.

However, according to this third-party website, the 12:04 train from Florence to Rome (which is train 9521 from Milan to Salerno) is one of the guaranteed trains. So, if that's your train, you're in luck. It will probably be packed with people who couldn't get on the earlier canceled trains, and tickets may not even be checked, but you'll get there.

uniquevisitor.it/magazine/treni-garantiti-in…

Canada
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

So if you have tickets for a train during a strike, can you just jump on any running train or do you need to get in line and have you ticket changed, or do you need to buy new regular fare tickets.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

I don't know the rules, but people do jump on any train they can get on. I've read that they often don't check tickets, but I have no personal experience, as I've never been on a train during a strike.

You shouldn't have to pay for a new ticket in any case, because your original ticket wasn't honored. I imagine getting near a ticket window would be a bit of a struggle.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 22:37
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

bvlenci-we are traveling rome to Naples on June 1, 8:40 am and returning to rome at 6:00pm so that we can visit Naples.Do you think I will be affected by the strike? Should I make other plans now or wait until closer to our trip? thank you.

NJ
Level Contributor
128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

bvlenci,

Thank you for the information on the guaranteed service trains. Our reservation thankfully is on train #9521.

I do hope there are no problems with our seating.

Pescara, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

Looking at web site indicated by Bvlenci there is an official update about strikes in Italy (Train and plane):

uniquevisitor.it/magazine/sciopero-aerei-tre…

Here the strikes is scheduled for 1st june.

F

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

The strike is scheduled to begin on the 1st of June at 9 PM and continue for 24 hours. This means that travel on the 1st will not be affected unless you're traveling late in the evening.

The list above shows the guaranteed *long-distance* trains. In addition, each region of Italy has guaranteed regional trains that will run during a strike. These are mostly trains that run during the morning and evening rush hours.

Derby
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dealing with the Trenitalia Strikes May 25/26 and June 1/2

This is the last thing I wanted to hear. I'm on honeymoon during these dates and will be travelling from Rome to Florence on the 2nd June at 12:25 #9528.

Really hope it gets sorted as we could do without the hassle.

The last holiday we went on was in France when there were strikes and it really hampered our plans.