We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
4 days in Rome

I realize a lifetime isn't long enough to see all of Rome, but reality is that we only have 4 days to see the following:

Day 1: HOHO bus tour, Spanish Steps, Trevi fountain

Day 2: Guided tour of Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, St Peter's Bascilla and St. Peters Square

Day 3: Guided tour of Colosseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon, Palantine Hill

Day 4: Santa Maria Trastevere area, Campo de Fiore, Via Appia Antica road

Is this doable in 4 days or should we seeif we could squeek out a 5th day?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Rome

The Pantheon is in central Rome, closer to Trevi Fountain than to the other things you have on day 3. I'd move it to day 1. I would also add Piazza Navona there, and I myself would skip the Spanish Steps.

I don't know that I'd try to see Campo dei Fiori, Trastevere, and the Via Appia Antica all on the same day. It sounds like too much. Another problem is that the Via Appia Antica is best seen on a Sunday, when the road is closed to most traffic. However, the usual produce market in Campo dei Fiori isn't held on a Sunday. So the two things don't really go well on the same day. If you skip the hop-on, hop-off bus tour, and if you can get a fairly early start on day 1, you could visit Campo dei Fiori then. I would start there, then go to Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps, in that order. It doesn't take long to walk from one to the other. If you're not tired, you could then go up the Spanish Steps, turn to the left, and walk along the wall of the Villa Borghese Park until you get to an entrance. Then stroll around the park and maybe eat lunch there. There are great views of Rome from the road along the park wall, and even better views from the Pincian Overlook inside the park.

Other than that, it would be too many guided tours for me on such a short trip.

new york
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Rome

What else do ou reccomend we see the same day as Via Appia Antica? We'd like to walk a few miles along the road or maybe even bike ride but either way it wouldn't take a whole day.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Rome

Your itinerary is very doable. Personally, I'd skip the HOHO bus, and just walk trevi - pantheon - piazza navona as the historical center of rome is small and walkable. You can still see campo de fiori or head north to spanish steps/piazza del poplo etc. that day.

Your day 2 may not take the entire day and you could squeeze something else in (I know for me I did those things in a half day starting at 9am at the vatican museums). Maybe have dinner in trastevere?

Your day 3 should leave out the pantheon and just stick to the colosseum, roman forum, and if you have time add the capitoline museums. All right now and all fit with the ancient rome theme :-)

Your day 4 I would start at Circus Maximus, behind the palatine hill. Walk up the aventine hill and via di santa sabrina to see the knights of malta keyhole. Walk down the hill and then walk to the Baths of Caracalla. After seeing the baths (won't take more than 1 hour unless you linger) you can then catch a bus to the appian way (or if you are fit even walk it!)

Get off at the San Sebastiano Catacomb Stop and walk and visit the Mausoleum of Romulus/Circus of Maxentius. It won't take long but it's 3 sights in one. Then walk to the nextdoor Tomb of Cecelia Metella. Then right after that is a great lunch spot. Cheap cafe. Then you can walk the appian way some (maybe an hour or so) and turn around. On your way back, stop at the Catacombs of San Sebastiano or the Catacombs of San Callisto. Then catch the bus back to Rome. Don't miss Capo Di Bove (free sight) actually across from the lunch spot I mentioned.

If you venture our far enough, there's also the villa dei quintili on the appian way too. Lots to see and do, and with that itinerary it would fill your entire day 4! The key is to just start early. Very easy to have a relaxing day seeing all those sights on the appian way.

I loved the appian way and can't wait to venture out there again in a few weeks!

Edited: 27 April 2013, 22:57
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Rome

With just a slight detour from the Via Appia Antica, you can visit the catacomb of Domitilla, on Via delle Sette Chiese, which is much less overwhelmed with visitors than San Callisto, and, at least in my opinion, is more interesting than San Sebastiano.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Rome

I might take your suggestion bvlenci

I've been to San Callisto, which I've heard many say is the best... but we were going to just visit San Sebastiano this time. maybe we'll do Domitilla instead :-) The underground basilica there sounds interesting.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 23:56
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Rome

At the Domitilla catacomb, we were part of a very small group. I've been twice to San Callisto, and both times the groups were quite large. One of the guides, a young monk, tried his best to make sure we all saw everything, but remaining in place until everyone filed past the item of interest. However, strung out in narrow corridors, it was sometimes hard to hear what he was saying. The second time, we had an old windbag American priest who didn't even try to address the problem. (I told my friend that probably his parishioners had taken up a collection to send him to Rome.)

I've only been to San Sebastiano once, and I don't know if this is often a problem, but we waited a long time for an Italian language group to form; they wouldn't start the tour with just the two of us. Finally, we joined a Spanish-language tour. At Saint Agnes and at the Priscilla catacomb, they've always started the tours after a short wait no matter how few people there are for a particular language. At both of those catacombs, both of which I've visited twice, we've always been on tours of only three or four people. These two, in my opinion, are even more interesting than the three near the Via Appia Antica.

7. Re: 4 days in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 05:16