We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

I purchased 2 sets of tickets for myself, and my son for travel for one week and then for my parents for the following week on the Trenitalia website. After printing them I realised that I had mixed up the dates, obviously my own fault/stupidity. Would it be possible for my parents to travel on my tickets and I on theirs? What is the likelihood of being asked for ID. I can't change them so I would have to purchase all the tickets again unless we could use each others? The names are printed on the tickets I downloaded from the site.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,050 reviews
from US$77.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$419.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,840 reviews
from US$125.70*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,643 reviews
from US$58.30*
NY
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

Are these tickets for a reserved seat train?

Well, doesn't matter, I think the chance of anyone checking ID is extremely slim to none. They just want to check if you have a valid paid ticket or number. It is not like the airlines.

I could be surprised if someone disagrees, but if so they will post.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

Yes, I had to reserve the seats so there are seat numbers on the tickets. I just don't want to end up especially my parents getting into trouble for using tickets that aren't theirs!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

First, I would try using this form to have your data changed:

…trenitalia.com/Reclami/Default.aspx…

Others who have made mistakes with their tickets have had good luck getting things changed by using this site. Furnish all the details, including the PNR of both tickets, but keep your English clear and simple.

I've never been asked to show ID, and at least both your tickets have one male and one female, but I would at least try to change them.

NY
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

My impression is the conductors move so fast they just look at the ticket or scan your printout.

For someone using a pass of some kind, I think they would check the ID so someone else cannot use your pass, I have seen that happen

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

Once I was traveling by train with my daughter and a young Italian relative. We were using the old kilometric pass, which was for up to five specific people. The conductor asked, "Do you have ID?" and the young Italian replied, "Yes, we do", but made no move to pull it out. The conductor waited a few seconds and moved on.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

Did you choose the "ticketless" option? Even if you printed something, the PNR code is what they need. I saw people on the trains who just read off the PNR code on their phones and they were good. I too choose the ticketless option, and I still print the papers so they can scan them (and I can have the comfort of having something that looks official or looks like a ticket)... but no one ever looked at the names.

Technically with "ticketless" you don't even need the paper with your names on it - just the code.

Have fun!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

Technically, while I agree it's unlikely to happen, they have the right to ask to see your ID. I can understand Casbird's concern on behalf of her parents. I would try to get it changed, and if you can't, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 00:31
N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

Yes, I printed off the ticketless option with the PNR number on it. If they don't need photo I'd I could always give them something from me to carry just in case. I have travelled once before on per purchased tickets and was never asked but I guess there is a first time for everything. I will try and change the names if not i guess I can only hope for the best.

Thanks everyone for your help, moral of the story make sure all the details are right before you hit pay!

9. Re: Help, Need Advice on Train Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 05:18