We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fosse ardeatine monument

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
323 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
fosse ardeatine monument

I would like to visit this monument and also the catacombs are they close by and what is the bEst way to get there from the termini?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fosse ardeatine monument

The number 218 bus stops very near the Fosse Ardeatine. You can catch the bus at Piazza San Giovanni in Laterano, and to get there from Termini station, you can take either the 714 bus (direction Palazzo dello Sport) or the metro A, direction Anagnina.

060608.it/en/…fosse-ardeatine.html

The nearest catacomb to the monument is the Domitilla catacomb. You can easily walk there from the Fosse Ardeatine. It's on the Via delle Sette Chiese, which I believe is a little bit north of the Fosse Ardeatine. It cIn any case, it's very near, if not a bit north, then a bit south. It should be the first street you come to. I looked on Google Maps, but I'm fairly sure they have the Fosse Ardeatine in the wrong spot. The Via Ardeatina and Via delle Sette Chiese come together at an oblique angle, and then separate again.

If you walk east on Via delle Sette Chiese, you'll soon arrive at the Domatilla catacomb. If you keep walking past this catacomb, you'll come to the Via Appia Antica, where you can find the Catacomb of San Callisto and the Catacomb of San Sebastiana. However, there are other roads that would take you to the Via Appia Antica, coming out closer to San Callisto than Via delle Sette Chiese does. Continuing north on Via Ardeatina would also take you to the Via Appia Antica.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fosse ardeatine monument

It is the red flame on this goggle map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fosse ardeatine monument

That's where I thought it was, but Google maps has it marked north of there, on the opposite side of Via delle Sette Chiese.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fosse ardeatine monument

The Rome Bus map has it where I marked it

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

for a while Google amps had Ara Pacis on the wrong side of the Tiber

United States
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fosse ardeatine monument

Google maps are notoriously inaccurate. I never trust them when I need precise information.

TAB

Edited: 28 April 2013, 22:00
England
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fosse ardeatine monument

I walked on the Appia Antica to the catacombs and visited this monument on the way. It was so worth it! Very quiet, respectful, beautifully kept- a real credit to those who are responsible - military or families? It's a memorial to Italians so the signage is naturally written in Italian. Despite not being able to read this I still managed to get an overall feel for the place and what had happened , although I did read upa bit before going. As you are already planning to go I assume you know the outline of events here. It's a very moving, peaceful place and I highly recommend it if you are visiting the catacombs.

7. Re: fosse ardeatine monument

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 05:18