We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches near Rome

Benton, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches near Rome

I will be in Rome for 9 days in late June. I was wondering if there were any beaches close by. If so, how far are they and which is the best to go to. I will be by myself and don't plan on swimming, just want to get my feet wet. I have never been to a beach and would love to go to one.

biloxi
Level Contributor
116 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches near Rome

We loved the beach at Sperlonga . You can catch th train to Fondi. Then the bus to the lovely town.

Benton, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches near Rome

thanks, I will check into that

3. Re: Beaches near Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2013, 17:40
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches near Rome

You have several choices if you plan on heading to a beach for a day or two (I'd try for weekdays to avoid the bigger crowds on weekends). Santa Marinella or Ostia are very convenient, Sperlonga is a bit further. These links might help:

walksofitaly.com/blog/day-trips-2/best-beach…

revealedrome.com/2011/05/beach-in-rome-santa…

…usatoday.com/beaches-near-rome-57840.html

Benton, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches near Rome

I have been doing some checking. I am thinking about Ostia. I saw on an ad where you could pay for the private beach. I think I am wanting to do that. Since I will be by myself I'd like to have a locker to put my camera bag in and my clothes. I wouldn't want to travel to this beautiful place and not be able to take pictures so it's gotta come with me. Now with that being said, I'm from the states and sometimes lockers are not safe, are these just like the ones in the states and you have to worry about someone praying it open and stealing your stuff. Of course all they will get is my camera but still, I don't want to lose that since I just got it. Thanks everyone. All this advice is helpful. And as for the day, I will be there from June 25- July 2. I have 2 weekdays that can do, June 28 or July 1. I bought a Rome pass for June 25-27 and have yet to get my money back for it, although they said they would refund it. So for now those days are busy.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches near Rome

If you just want to get your feet wet, I suggest you go to Ostia, not all the way to Sperlonga. Go early in the day, before the beach gets crowded. I usually don't go to the private beaches where I live, because there are some very nice free beaches near where I live. However, once last summer I took my granddaughter to a beach near Rome and used a beach chair, umbrella, locker and the showers there. The lockers were in a place where the employees of the bathing establishment were able to keep an eye on them, so I don't think it would have been a problem. I can't speak for all bathing establishments, obviously, but I don't think the lockers at a beach would be an attractive target for thieves. Most of the lockers just have a change of clothes in them.

Benton, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches near Rome

thanks sounds like a plan. I was seeing that I could go to the free beach and then there are private pay parts where the offer things like the lockers, snack bars etc.. Can someone tell me the best way to get there. Thanks again.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches near Rome

The lockers are almost always part of a bathing establishment. You don't have to use all their services, but I don't know if you have to use some minimum of services, or if they would allow you to use just a locker. You will find plenty of bars without going to a bathing establishment.

Montreal
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches near Rome

For Lido di Ostia beach, take the subway, get off at Piramide station. Take the stairs to go up on the ground level to embark the train direction Cristoforo Colombo. You can get off at any of the last 3 stops. The last stop is closest to the beach, 3 minutes walk. Roma Pass works for this train.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches near Rome

Any bus or metro ticket will take you all the way to Ostia, including the transfer from metro to train.