We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trenitalia July fares - Should I wait for the Euro 9 fares?

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Trenitalia July fares - Should I wait for the Euro 9 fares?

I have been tracking Trenitalia for the last couple of weeks and as soon as the summer schedules were uploaded around 25th/26th, I was surprised that I could not find any Euro 9 (MINI) /Super Economy) fares. I am looking to book tickets on Milan- Rome(July 2), Rome-Florence (July 9) and Florence -Venice (July 12). The minimum on the fast trains I see for Milan-Rome is 29, Rome-Florence and Florence - Venice is 19 euros.

Can someone or the Trenitalia experts on TA could tell me whether I should wait a few days in the hope that 9 euro fares will become available or should I just go ahead and book immediately the least fares I can find for the days/times (mostly evening trains) that I am interested in?

Since there are 4 of us, savings at 9 euros will be significant.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,437 Reviews
from US$82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$412.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,815 Reviews
from US$60.80*
US$67.50
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from US$123.80*
1. Re: Trenitalia July fares - Should I wait for the Euro 9 fares?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 09:07
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trenitalia July fares - Should I wait for the Euro 9 fares?

It looks as if €9 fares may not be on offer after the timetable change.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trenitalia July fares - Should I wait for the Euro 9 fares?

The fares that are up on the Trentitalia website are what is available. Not all routes have €9 tickets as their cheapest ticket.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trenitalia July fares - Should I wait for the Euro 9 fares?

For the 9 Euro SUPER ECONOMY fare, you may need to look to trips where Intercity (IC) trains are used, rather than Frecciarossa/Frecciargento trains, where the "starting" fare is more likely to be 19 or even 29 Euros (with short distance exceptions such as Florence/Bologna). However, summer schedules for the Intercity trains may not yet have been totally uploaded.

I cannot say that you will NEVER find a 9-Euro fare on the Freccia trains between Rome/Florence and Florence/Venice. However, I CAN say that I have been monitoring these fares on these routes over the past several weeks, and do not remember seeing a single such fare during the month of April. This includes the apparently non-available 9-Euro fare between Rome/Naples on Freccia trains.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trenitalia July fares - Should I wait for the Euro 9 fares?

We bought our tickets - ended up paying 29 euro for Milan/Rome and 19 for Rome/Florence.

We decided not to wait any longer after reading the responses to our question. Thank you everyone for your help.

By the way, the prices were really shooting up yesterday while we were going through the buying process. And contrary to some of the posts I have read about booking on Trenitalia website, I had no issues - it went very smoothly.

Thanks to all the TA friends and experts.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
6. Re: Trenitalia July fares - Should I wait for the Euro 9 fares?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 05:17